Past few times fishing I've caught nothing. I was desperate so I went with shiners just to hope to turn my luck around. Caught a few but went again with lures and struck out again. Getting frustrated. Anyone go thru this or do I just suck. Lol

Posted Sun May 25, 2014 7:59 pm

Just keep going fishing....it'll happen for you.

Posted Sun May 25, 2014 8:05 pm

If you r real desperate start tossing senkos they never fail. If they do your just not fishing the right places.

Posted Sun May 25, 2014 8:11 pm

Pardon my ignorance but what's a senco. I use a lot of spinner baits and top water poppers and frogs in the Lilly pads. Where do I get sencos and how do you fish them

Posted Sun May 25, 2014 8:14 pm

The more you fish, the more you will learn! You will find what works for you in whatever waters you fish.

Posted Sun May 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Senkos are a type of plastic worm. Possibly the most famous soft plastic ever, they are known for falling horizontally instead of vertically with just a little wiggle. They were on sale at dicks as of tuesday. Its probably the only soft plastic I buy from a brand name and pay the little bit extra for. There are tons of color options and the saying 'match the hatch' applies here.

http://www.wired2fish.com/gary-yamamoto-senko/
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Yamamoto_Senko/descpage-YAS.html

I almost always rig them texas style weightless but I grabbed some wacky hooks to give that a shot this year. If you just want to break your funk I would suggest 3" but I believe most people fish the 4 or 5 inch.

Posted Sun May 25, 2014 9:01 pm

Posted Sun May 25, 2014 9:02 pm

fish em slow! fish em fast! fish on top. fish em on bottom
wacky rig em!

fish em over pads! pitch em to cover!

drop shot em!

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 9:03 am

What type of rod, reel and line are you using?

No point in using senkos if you are using mono line.

If you are using braid then fishing plastics is easier because you can get a decent hook set without the stretch of mono.

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 11:54 am

I've never had a problem using mono with soft plastics.

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 11:58 am

Agreed, I've only ever used mono with senkos and have caught a ton of fish with em.

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 1:46 pm

I started using braid with a flouro leader for senkos, maybe it's in my head but I have noticed they take to that better for me, and I get better hooksets.

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 3:23 pm

fatkid1980

I started using braid with a flouro leader for senkos, maybe it's in my head but I have noticed they take to that better for me, and I get better hooksets.

I agree. I use the same.

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 3:34 pm

Most of my spinning spools are now filled with braid, and some of those with fluoro leaders. So I'm generally throwing Senkos on braid as well, but I've caught a ton on mono too. Watching the distance a Senko can be cast on spinning gear with braid is a thing of beauty though!

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 3:39 pm

What hooks do you guys like with 5" Senkos for Texas rigged or Wacky?

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 3:41 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links