dangermouse

What hooks do you guys like with 5" Senkos for Texas rigged or Wacky?

Gamakatsu finesse w.g. weedless sizes 1/0 and 2/0
Wacky rigged

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 3:46 pm

I have some weighted "weedless" wacky hooks, and 1/0 and 2/0 for Texas rigged. I have a few non weighted for wacky depending on the situation.

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 3:47 pm

For Texas rigging I like a 3/0 Gamakatsu EWG. For Wacky I try to use smaller and hence lighter hooks, so the Senko falls as slow as possible. I have Gamakatsu Wicked Wacky's in 2/0 with a weedguard that I'll use when the weeds dictate. That's the biggest I go, usually it's a 1/0 or even 1 Lazer Trokar Wacky Worm Wide Gap Hook (TW had them as a 2-for-1 during the Xmas sale). Interested to see what others say.

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 3:47 pm

I also fish with 3/0 off shank hook texas rigged. There r also some knock offs that work pretty well. Personally I like dark colors no weight. They do cast a mile on braid so I use braid with 13 in flouro leader. I think weight takes away from the slow fall so only use weight at real deep lakes or on real windy days cause wind will catch your braid n senko won't make it to the bottom. I like a reel twitch drop approach. In warm water n slow drag in early spring. Sticko by bass pro n yum dingers r cheaper alternatves to senkos. Also if your worm takes a beating flip it around hook opposite end texas style and also can use wackey before throwing out save u some money. When fish r on they tear through your worms fast.

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Also b sure to let worm sink all the way to bottom unless of course u get a bite. Pay very close attention. Very easy to gut hook fish will swallow hook if u don't set hook on first bite.

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Mono with senkos is fine, with good hooks you dont need to cross every fishes eyes. I'm awful at hooksetting and still catch fish.

Posted Tue May 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks for all the advice! Time to try some wacky style Senkos.

This site is awesome thanks to all you guys that are willing to share your knowledge!

Are you guys able to cast Senkos weightless on baitcasters?

Posted Wed May 28, 2014 9:56 am

dangermouse

Are you guys able to cast Senkos weightless on baitcasters?

Yes, a mile.

As Bad Larry said pay close attention for those bites. It's very easy to Gut Hook fish with Senkos.

Good luck.

Posted Wed May 28, 2014 10:12 am

Also maybe google how to get a hook out if fish swallows hook. As someone who is first tryin senkos almost for sure u will gut hook one. May save a fishes life.

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 am

I've only gut hooked a few fish the last few years, but have perfected my technique on removing, which is no secret and available out on the web.

I gently go through the gills with long needle nose priers. Then I grab on to the hook bend and pull upward, pulling the shaft of the hook through the flesh and guide the needle nose pliers right back out through the side of the gills. I snip the line at the hook eye and the line slides right through the hooked gullet and back out.

Takes 10 seconds to retie the hook and the fish is already back in the water and very much alive. Minimal intrusion, quick release and the fish lives to battle another day.

For treble hooks I bought a tool that snips the barbs right off, pull the now barbless hooks out and replace on the lure another day. You can crush the barbs with a needle nose too, just remember to have them with you. VERY ESSENTIAL!

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 12:35 pm

I like the note about 'it's all about the fall.' I just got a kayak, and I was having terrible luck. The other night I was across a pond without a lifejacket, as it was getting dark frantically fishing, cause I didn't want to get skunked, and I got one... Bass are close to shore now... I needed to slow down my fishing and work on the fall more. I also switched up to smaller crayfish and grub-like plastics that are working well. I don't need shiners, but they sure are fun.

Posted Thu May 29, 2014 12:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links