Hopefully I'll be getting my little bass raider on the water soon. Never used a fish finder before and I dont know much about them. Looking to get one for my boat, got a budget of about 300, pretty flexible but id rather not go all out on my first fish finder.

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Lowerance elite 4 dsi is under 300 and its a great fish finder. Depends on what you want though you can get black and white with minimum pixels for next to nothing nowadays

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm looking for something I can learn on, but I don't want to buy junk that I'll just replace next year. The lowrance elite 4 dsi was one I was looking at.

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:06 pm

It's pretty easy to use, just read the directions and you'll be all set. That's the unit I would buy again if I needed another one

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:08 pm

id get the elite 4 HDI and not DSI. 200 dollars, and you would get regular sonar AND down scan imagining so 2 for the price of 1. thats a no brainer

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Dsi is Both and a much better unit. Look to the right of the main maff page and read the reviews

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:38 pm

teamhookset

Dsi is Both and a much better unit. Look to the right of the main maff page and read the reviews

The HDI is new this year and is an upgrade over the DSI. It has both down scan and 2d sonar unlike the DSI that is only downscan.

I just finished installing my HDI actually, if you don't need the GPS you can get one for 200.

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 pm

What's the difference between down scan and 2d sonar?

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:52 pm

mikem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIWqpTLheGw

there... DSI which is down scan gives you a much better definition ON STRUCTURE. while sonar better fish location...

i choose the elite 4 HDI because its 200 dollars and gives you both

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm

mikem

Short version: Down scan is to find structure Sonar is to find fish.

Downscan (down imaging for humminbird downVu for garmin) gives a more detailed picture of the bottom and you can make out structure with very fine detail.

Sonar is not as fine detail but it will pick up fish better.

picture for comparison

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm

that picture says it all. do you want to see structure primarily or fish or both? if that unit has both, that's a great deal for the money.

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:27 pm

I didn't mention: I did a lot of research before purchasing and could not find any unit even remotely close to as feature filled for the same amount of money. If you are ok skipping out on color, the humminbird 581 has a bigger screen and probably more processing power for the same cash. Their CHEAPEST color/downimaging/chartplotter is 400.

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Definitely get something with both if you can. I had the elite 4 last year and although I think it's a good unit I was definitely missing the sonar. I went with an hds 5 this year.

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:52 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links