Brand new spooled up reels have done this to me so far this year. From the research I've done most people say it's from getting a deep backlash and it cutting into the line. I never cast off but when picking out a back lash or on a far cast I see the break and will just hand reel back in.

Anything besides backlash cause this? When it happened Sunday I had used the rod for maybe 5 casts so I'm not entirely sure it's purely backlash.

As a side note I have been spool the reels as suggested previously. I have also checked for damaged guided or rod spurs.

Posted Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:51 pm

So aggravating !! That happens to me from time to time. This past Saturday lost brand new spool of expensive fluoro because of a back lash with a separation in the line..

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:08 am

That's weird Bobby. I was gonna say it was a guide or something like that but you have that covered. Is it possible the line is bad? Has it happened on different reels with different line or is it line from one spool?

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:37 am

It doesn't have to be a full backlash to cause this. Just having a couple loose loops on your reel so that when you cast out you hear the loose loops getting struck by the line coming off the reel will cause a weak spot or even a break in those loops.

The ONLY other thing I can think of is that Shawneramone is sneaking into your garage at night, pulling line off your reels, cutting your line, then reeling in the cut line. He then follows you to your favorite honey hole, hides in the woods and laughs hysterically when you cast off your favorite bait.

If i was a betting man, i wold go with option 2

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:34 am

Funny thread! As I have been preparing my gear for this season I have noticed last seasons line (Suffix Mono) has some serious checking in it and a bad curl from sitting I would imagine, down inside the spool where I would not have expected it to be... Anyway, What are some of the line preferences ( mono - flouro) brands,What performance do you see that makes you like it.
Just wondering, does anyone else use Suffix brand products and have you noticed the curl? I noticed it starting toward the end of last years season.

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:47 am

Stratos still hasn't figured out how lazy I really am.

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:55 am

what stratos said if you're using fluoro. it happened to me a few times last year.

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:07 am

Yeah it has happened twice on two different reels with different types of fluoro, both expensive brand line.

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:57 am

shawneramone

You are a closet over achiever. I have seen the effort you put into some of your videos. For the right reward, you have motivation

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:59 am

stratos1966

shawneramone

You are a closet over achiever. I have seen the effort you put into some of your videos. For the right reward, you have motivation

Busted. I'd only put that much effort into sabotaging Sam's gear. Maybe I'd get to out fish him then

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:10 am

front of the boat, back of the boat. it doesn't matter. i still outfish you.

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:19 am

Some guys have a horshoe up their ass. You have the whole horse

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:21 am

you're the one that said you'd outfish me and was keeping track.

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:27 pm

LOL, is the honeymoon over now guys? Very Happy

The fishing Gremlins have struck Bobby Bigz, uh ohhhh! Twisted Evil

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:20 pm

It's quite the bromance, ain't it.

Posted Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:19 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links