Why do line manufactures put notches in spools? It drives me crazy when I fill spinning reels. I've even tried putting tape over the notches, but the edges of the tape catch the line too.

- Patrick

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 am

I put notches in my belt

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:01 am

what do you mean notches? the grooves in the spool? i'm not sure how any notch messed with the spooling of a reel? i've never had an issue i don't think.

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:08 am

What brand are you talking about? I have been using berkley for mono for 20+ years. No notches in their spools

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:16 am

Sufix and Seaguar. I guess I should stick to Berkley line.

- Patrick

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:54 am

oh i see what you're talking about. if you put tape over it, try to leave it smooth where the line is going over it off of the spool.

i've done it before with electrical tape which is smoother and it wasn't a problem.

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Not sure what spinning reels you have but the vast majority now have an inline bering in the bail. With reels that have this feature you are not supposed to lay the spool flat to spool up. You are supposed to spool up the same way you do with a baitcaster with the spool standing in edge.

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:33 pm

samf

oh i see what you're talking about. if you put tape over it, try to leave it smooth where the line is going over it off of the spool.

i've done it before with electrical tape which is smoother and it wasn't a problem.

thanks samf. I'll try electrical tape. I've tried masking tape with mixed results.

- Patrick

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:34 pm

I spool my spinning reel like a baitcaster

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:34 pm

shawneramone

I spool my spinning reel like a baitcaster

Do you notice any additional line twist?

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Have the line come from the bottom of spool for spinning reels Top for casting reels..It makes a huge differnece for spinning reels

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:41 pm

stratos1966

Not sure what spinning reels you have but the vast majority now have an inline bering in the bail. With reels that have this feature you are not supposed to lay the spool flat to spool up. You are supposed to spool up the same way you do with a baitcaster with the spool standing in edge.

X2

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:47 pm

any spinng reel works belive me when spooling line do it like casting reel except gp from bottom I learned it on you tube from shawn grisby , Aron marton kevin short and tried last year with awsome results

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:51 pm

When spooling dont put it on the floor have someone hold the spool or what I do is have a dole through my spools in a box to hold my line

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links