You live and learn and I'm not following the rules after this. I finally went to return my broken St. Croix rod and was going to break it in half and send it back like everyone always says to do. But instead I asked a St. Croix Customer Service rep and they said NOT to do that, that the rod needed to be inspected from top to bottom, to determine whether or not they were going to replace it or repair it (DESPITE missing about 12" off the top and my 5 year guarantee that is only 6 months past). I packaged the rod up real nice, even putting Styrofoam all around it to protect the broken rod and be all nice and cozy like they said to. The package weighed just over a pound and when they lady behind the counter says "That'll be $27.15 please", I almost s*** my pants! I asked her why so much and she said that because of the long size, there was an additional $18 charge. I said "For what, is it bigger than the truck it will be going in?" After arguing with her for about 5 minutes to do something to lower that price and then her smug little obvious homosexual Supervisor, I foolishly paid the money and stormed out like a raving lunatic. I did have the crowd supporting me behind me which was nice. Next time I break it in half and send it in!

Thanks for listening to my rant Sad

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:01 pm

I had to pay to send a rod back for the same reason and they sent me a new one. But like you, it cost me 30 bucks to ship. On the other hand I bought a rod from Dick's and bought their extra protection. When I called them about the broken rod they just wanted a copy of the receipt and they sent me a Gift card with amount I paid plus tax.

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:22 pm

I bought mine at Dicks and think I bought that extra protection from them too. Should I have just gone through them first? Every time I've ever had to return an item under manufacturer warranty, they always tell me to send it to them and NOT bring it to the store I bought it from. I should have called Dicks first probably. Like I said, lesson learned.

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:44 pm

When you buy the Extra protection from Dick's it's actually a different company that you go through. They can't do anything at the store but if you have the little pamphlet thing they gave you or the receipt you should call them. Maybe you'll get your cash back and a rod from st croix

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:52 pm

pocketfisherman

I should have called Dicks first probably. Like I said, lesson learned.

For sure, that's Dick's extra protection is very simple and is managed by a 3rd party. I just went through it with a broken fish finder.

You don't bring it to the store you call them. They had me send it to them but paid for the shipping. Just dropped it off at the UPS store and a gift card is in the mail.

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Maybe if you flirted with the supervisor you could have got a discount

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:14 pm

you said dicks. shawn loves dicks.

it costs that much with the other carriers too. they get you with that "special handling charge" for the total length of the rod tube. sucks bigtime.

the "major" brands are often serious about getting everything back as is but some will encourage you to cut it down or just mail the handle in like Dobyns or iRod.

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:31 pm

samf

you said dicks. shawn loves dicks.

it costs that much with the other carriers too. they get you with that "special handling charge" for the total length of the rod tube. sucks bigtime.

the "major" brands are often serious about getting everything back as is but some will encourage you to cut it down or just mail the handle in like Dobyns or iRod.

I love Dick's

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:35 pm

even with the shipping cost, it's a smaller price to pay for a brand new replacement.

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:44 pm

samf

even with the shipping cost, it's a smaller price to pay for a brand new replacement.

True Sam, but still sucks!

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:14 pm

stratos1966

I think he liked young boys and I am FAR from that!

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:15 pm

That dicks extra protection is also ribbed for your pleasure.....

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:58 pm

pocketfisherman

stratos1966

I think he liked young boys and I am FAR from that!

old boys?

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:51 pm

I got the warranty replacement rod back from St. Croix yesterday. Took just over 2 weeks from the day I mailed it to them, I am very impressed. Expected it to take much longer. Thank you St. Croix!

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:56 am

The dicks protection plan is great. I broke the tip off a st croix, got a full refund but also kept the rod and just replaced the tip

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:20 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links