Hey guys just curious on what colors you use on your crankbaits ? I use sexy shad, gizzard and orange craw colors Its funny how different parts of the country certain colors shines

Posted Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Sexy shad is my favorite

Posted Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:46 pm

i always match the hatch - perch, bluegill, crappie. or the usual natural / bright variations in certain water clarity.

i think crankbait color is less important than the other factors like rattle, no rattle, wide wobble or tight etc. REACTION STRIKE!

Posted Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:02 pm

I agree with what Sam says that it's more the action than the color

Posted Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:01 pm

i agree only in clear water do i think color is really a factor

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Just got a couple of ther live target baitball crankbaits pretty cool it does loook like a ball of fish hope the fish feel the same way

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:14 pm

yeah i agree although i was at a clear water place and was throwing the usual sexy shad, ghost minnow and bluegill type colors and caught a few here and there.

i was catching a lot of yellow perch too so i put a black and gold yellow perch pattern on and started crushing the bass. caught 7 on 7 casts at one point.

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:33 pm

when it iceout happens in clear water I notice chartuause works awsome for smallies i use that for my jb then go to chrome, blugill

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:38 pm

wiggle warts?

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:32 pm

samf

wiggle warts?

you said wiggle warts, my favorite smallie crank, I like the phantom craw colors.

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Anyone have any of the old wiggle warts? Are they that much better?

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:13 pm

thelucky

Anyone have any of the old wiggle warts? Are they that much better?

I don't have any old ones left and really don't remember. some guys say the old ones were better because they didn't run straight and tended to wander giving them better action. the ones to stay away from if you run into them are the first ones made by rapala which had the bill glued on. then they went back to the original style with new molds.

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:39 pm

samf

i always match the hatch - perch, bluegill, crappie. or the usual natural / bright variations in certain water clarity.

Good question raised by the OP.

So what is the primary food for bass up here in MA? Is it mostly Perch, BlueGill, Crappie, Crawfish? I guess trout on certain ponds.

Are there others that I should be matching too? Do we have a lot of shad in the north east?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:12 am

jjbagoose

samf

Good question raised by the OP.

So what is the primary food for bass up here in MA? Is it mostly Perch, BlueGill, Crappie, Crawfish? I guess trout on certain ponds.

Are there others that I should be matching too? Do we have a lot of shad in the north east?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

I stick to three (sometimes 4).

Blue Gill year round but especially during the spawn. Like the others said sexy shad will do it, anything with a little blue and chartreuse and even fire tiger in stained water

Shad I know the least about because I dont know what the shad populations are like around here but if I know its around anything brown, green blue, I like it a lot in the fall.

Craw, brown orange black red, works well in spring.

The fourth is herring, which would be blue, but only certain places have them

75% of the time im throwing something in that blue gill category. At least ill always start with it then play with depth, sound, wobble etc

I did just want to add though if you KNOW what they are feeding on (ie they spit up food) it makes 100% easier. We have other food populations in the area between crappie, white perch, yellow perch but I just havent found a crankbait i like in those cases (especially yellow) but you cant go wrong with blue gill, every place has them

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:42 am

biggz53

I stick to three (sometimes 4).

Very good writeup, thanks!

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:06 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links