Hey I was wondering if any off you guys pour your own soft plastics I am really interested in pouring my own and was wondering if you guys have any experience pouring your own and if it's worth the investment thanks guys

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:08 pm

Definitely worth it IMO. A starter set consisting of a modified presto pot with a stirrer and spout, plastic, re-melts, salt, scent, stabilizer, hardener, softener, colors, glitter, and a few molds can make a hundred or so senko's, frogs, craws, etc in just a couple hours. Don't do it in the house without good ventillation, etc. though. Checkout tackleunderground, bears, and/or MakeLure for some good resources. While there's a cost savings, the biggest benefit for me is I get exactly what I want when I want it at a better price. Once you get started on soft plastics, it will grow into hard plastics, jigs, wired, etc so hold onto your wallet.

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Yeah its deffinetly worth I've been doing it for a couple years now and I don't know what it is but they just seem to come out better than the factory made lures

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 pm

Looks like I'm going to be investing in a starter kit. Do you guys order stuff from lurecraft ?

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Sure, Lurecraft and a number of others. I got most of my molds and injectors from del-mart many moons ago. Great molds, but I'm not sure they are in business anymore. Canycreek molds as well. I've got probably 90-100 bookmarks to various suppliers, but I'm always trying different places hoping to find one that keeps up to date with current trends, etc, most recently trying the following.

Bearsbaits http://www.bearsbaits.com/
MakeLure http://www.makelure.com/products.cfm

Watch the boards at tackleunderground for a while as well for whats trendy and new. Most of the more popular suppliers are sponsors and linger around responding to folks there as well.

I find it a very rewarding craft, but be careful. Get good gloves, ventallation, go slow, and practice with small amounts first. Watch you tubes on pouring, you'll pickup on some good practices and see a lot of bad ones as well. Scolding hot plastic will leave nasty burns and noxious fumes can be, no are, hazardous to your health.

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:08 am

Thanks for the advice !

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links