BPS has the last generation of Abu Garcia ORRA SX Reels on sale today.

Does anyone have any experience with this reel, or their pitch braking system?

If so, you're input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:26 pm

My buddy gave me bad reviews on the orra. I don't have personal experience but I trust his opinion. If I remember correctly he had to send it back to Abu not long after buying it

Posted Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:44 pm

There's a few discussions on this reel on TT.

The discussion on "Abu Garcia Orra SX Spinning Reels" seems pretty positive.

http://forums.tackletour.com/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Abu+Garcia+ORRA

Edit: opps, sorry I just realized you were asking about the baitcaster.

Posted Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:55 pm

I own one that I purchased as a refurb. They had a problem with a bad batch of anti-reverse bearings a few years back and a whole bunch were returned by angry customers. I haven't used it all that much but it is a solid reel. I purchased a power handle for it and use it for heavy cranking. The centrifugal brake system is fine but there is no external fine adjust, only the internal weights that can be moved up or down. Also, it doesn't cast as freely as my Gen 3 Revo SX or my Gen 2 Revo STX or my ProMax or my two SilverMaxs, so casting distance, though still good, is not great.

Posted Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:01 pm

I purchased the orra sx combo back in August and have no complaints . For the money it's a great deal. 8 Berings !

Posted Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:21 pm

My father has an Orra Sx that he uses all the time, never had an issue with it.

Posted Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Pro Qualifiers are on sale as well, for $79.97. I just ordered one after hearing lots of great things. Sounds like a great value, and possibly safer pick than the Orra.

Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 am

I skipped this deal. I think I need to do more research.

Thanks for the input everyone. As always you're a helpful lot.

Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:35 am

It's true what everybody is saying about the higher the price the better the quality. I have been known to pull the trigger on an expensive item if the timing is right but for the most part I have to be a savvy shopper because of my budget. 100 bucks should be your low point. I was a fan of the BPS pro qualifier until the end of last year when 2 out of 5 of them started to fail (anti reverse stopped working in cold weather). I'm becoming a fan of the abu garcia revo line. Right now I have the winch and an stx. I'm pretty sure I'm going to add an stx and probably am going to try out the s which I've seen for as low as 108. I'd suggest that reel over a pro qualifier every day. As for the rod, I'm pretty sure there are about a million different choices in the 100 range. St Croix mojo is a rod that I have and can say with confidence is a great rod in the 100 range. I have the 6'6 jig/worm rod and it's pretty awesome. Out of personal preferences I wish it were the 7' because I like a longer rod. I didn't know that at the time I purchased the 6'6. You have to use a few different rod sizes before you know what you like. With the winter upon us you have time. Take a trip to BPS with just the intent to check out rods. There have been some good sales online. Some sites like http://www.thehookuptackle.com/ and http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/ always have free shipping even on rods. Good luck man

This site is still having their black friday sale. 25% off plus free shipping over 50. http://www.tacklecenter.com/casting-rods

Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 am

The same manufacturer makes BPS and Abu reels. Same plant

Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 am

budwick

The same manufacturer makes BPS and Abu reels. Same plant

See this I know yet one works and one doesn't...hmmm

Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:23 am

They may be manufactured by the same plant because the plant specializes in this type of manufacturing, but they will have different designs and component specs.

Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:20 pm

azmlii

I skipped this deal. I think I need to do more research.

Thanks for the input everyone. As always you're a helpful lot.

I read that the Orra was marked down to $30. That's a no brainer, at that price I'd buy three of them.

Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

They were 30 bucks off. 69.99

Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:20 pm

I checked and they're still available at that price. So I guess it wasn't a one day only sale.

Posted Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links