I was wondering on peoples opinions on ponds that have trout and bass is it worth getting a big trout swim bait do you think there are big bass that feed on trout aka trout eaters around these parts ?? Opinions ,facts , personal experience please

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 am

My opinion is yes big bass are feeding on trout. Have no fact to back it up other then my trout imitators catch big fish. Bass will feed on whatever is available. Bass think the ice cream truck just showed up when the truck bows are being stocked in spring and fall.
Whether its worth it or not for you is a personal choice. Most trout swimbaits require a technique specific rod and reel. You will be chucking 2-6oz. baits. You cant do that with conventional bass gear. Between rod, reel and baits ( and I don't have as many as the true swimbait diehards) I am into it for about $800. Rod and reel are about $400 and each swimbait runs between $50 on the low end to $100 on the mid to high end.

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 am

Yes I will be buying a swim bait rod and thanks for the info I have decided not to have children just so I can afford to fish my whole life I already spend 100 a week on gear

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:49 am

Mike Long use to have a video on his website that showed bass going to town on trout freshly stocked. The bass would show up days before the truck came and would just wait.

Looks like he is charging for his videos now, but you can watch the preview of his big bass video. He's got a lot of great info on swimbaits and fishing in general on his site, its worth checking out. Here's the trailor, so yes bass eat stocked trout. http://vimeo.com/ondemand/2261

I would think that bodies of water that get stocked with trout do have larger bass. A trout is a lot of protein and easier to swallow than something like a bluegill. If your thinking about trout swimbaits don't forgot about our spring friend the herring too.

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:00 pm

benjenstark10

Yes I will be buying a swim bait rod and thanks for the info I have decided not to have children just so I can afford to fish my whole life I already spend 100 a week on gear

Laughing don't get married either!

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Was on a date with a girl the other day and told her the deal hahaha

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:03 pm

I know that some people have great success using large trout-looking baits...in fact, some people call these types of lures California Swimbaits because CA is where they first became really popular. CA has produced more fish over 20 pounds than any other state, and it is mainly because of the SUPER fat bass in trout stocked ponds, although the year around warmer weather helps too.
check out: http://www.sdfish.com/more/top-25-bass-of-all-time

Due to the shortened growing season, bass here generally do not get as big so maybe don't go too extreme on bait size...but maybe there's a few monsters out there???

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Oh yea I have some smaller herring swim baits and we have a nice perch ms slammer just want to see it people use them and have success around here

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:44 pm

In that case, this list of 2013 MA trout stocked ponds may be useful for you:
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/fishing/northeast-district-stocking-.html

Good luck, and post a pic if you get any big ones!

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links