Ok so i know trokar makes one of if not the best hooks out there but i have heard the way the tip is with the angles that they rip right though the soft plastics if you skin hook them. Does anybody have this problem? Im gonna be picking up some heavy flipping hooks anybody have suggestions or opinions on the best hooks to use for this application.

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 pm

kizel13

Ok so i know trokar makes one of if not the best hooks out there but i have heard the way the tip is with the angles that they rip right though the soft plastics if you skin hook them. Does anybody have this problem? Im gonna be picking up some heavy flipping hooks anybody have suggestions or opinions on the best hooks to use for this application.

Nope never had this problem, not if you hook the bait properly, its the only hook I use, after having the same 2 hooks on my flipping sticks for a season and sticking them in countless logs and rocks etc the point is still razor sharp, this one is a no brainer, also love the hard plastic keeper as opposed to the melt it your self soft plastic shrink tube ones like the Gambler's have

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:19 pm

I use Trokkar and Mustads Denny Brauer grip pin hooks

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:22 pm

strike king hack attack heavy cover flipping hooks and Mustad Denny Brauer grip pin hooks IMO.

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:03 pm

kizel13

i actually have this problem " at times" ive never had an issue with the flipping hooks but i dont skin hook my flip baits i rig them in such a way that the hook point kinda snugs into the side of the plastic but on stuff like worms and swim baits yes they tear them apart, i hate the trokar swimbait hooks because of this reason i dont like paying 8 dollars for a pack of swimbaits that i have to switch baits every couple casts cause when i skin hook them no matter how deep the damn three sided point cuts its way back out like a hot knife threw butter. i will say that one thing trokars are great for is ice fishing, i use the 5/0 flippin hooks for my bass/pickerel/pike rigs and a 2/0 finesses worm for perch rigs and i gotta say that hand setting a trokar hook is a pleasure and makes ice fishing that much easier only issue i have is that they tend to rip the poor fishies face apart. last pickerel i cought threw the ice on a trokar had the hook come all the way threw the side of his face just above the jaw bone plastic barb and all so i put him back in the water with almost a 1/2 inch long slice in his cheek Sad poor guy but goddamn they are sharp. the old trokars used to suck cause the opints would roll at the drop iof a hat but they fixed the problem with the newer gen hooks and they last forever

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:11 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links