Is the top water bite still strong right now? I've caught a few bass recently on KVD frogs, but I've mostly been catching fish on finesse baits. I was wondering what the peak is for consistent top water action. I was slamming fish on top water in May/June, but lately it's seemed to be all deep water finessing for the most part.

Posted Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:09 pm

depends on the body of water and conditions. typically it will be better on overcast days with wind vs. bright sun, no clouds, slick water. early morning and late afternoon are typically good too.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:40 am

I agree with what Sam said. I also have found that for whatever reasons there are certain bodies of water in the list of waters I know that are better for top water then others. Some I can NEVER get a top water bite going and others I can get smashed on a 1 oz buzzbait at 1pm with blue bird skies. I have no answers for why this is. Same thing with a frog bite. Pond A has nice pads stained water and they crush the frog. Pond B has nice pads and stained water and hardly ever a frog bite. I wish i knew why. I just put it in my memory and know to try other things the net time.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 am

i agree with that. there are some places that always kill them on buzzbaits and others you'd think it would be amazing but for whatever reason they won't hit it, but they will hit something like a spook. just gotta try a bunch of things and let them tell you what they want.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:38 am

I feel the same about a jig! Most places I fish I can catch fish on jigs.
But i got a few where I can't even get a hit!

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks for the input guys, and yea I definitely agree on jigs. Jigs are always hit or miss (mostly a miss) for some reason for me, but that's the nature of the beast I guess.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:05 am

ive done well on jigs. i throw my finesse with confidence but one spot i cant get a hit on one

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:32 am

Some places just don't have a Topwater bite. Upper Mystic comes to mind.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Agreed all the way around. I've caught fish on the frog most places I've thrown it this year, but only one here and there. The best frog action I've seen the last two seasons was on the Charles in Dover. Elsewhere I've done much better with spinnerbaits and stickbaits.

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links