With winter almost gone I am starting to think about bass fishing alot. Last august I had a tough go catching LMB. It was my first summer really trying at catching large mouth and it was tough. What are some techniques you guys use for late summer bass. The only way I could get them was deeper water with a dropshot and they were few and far between. I actually managed to fish he concord tourny last year and didnt put one large mouth in the boat it was awesome lol. Sad

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey you caught one on the dropshot at the dam. I got most of my summer bass on a swim jig in 10' or less, usually around lilly pads. I did catch a lot of fish on square bill cranks throughout the whole year and late in the summer I bought a flippin stick and started punching the really thick pads with a 1 1/2 ounce weight and creature baits

Update: I just realized we did Nashua River. Man I hate river fishing. I plan on changing that this year.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:28 pm

depends on the place. deep water drop shotting, offshore weedbeds, heavy cover / shade, slop, pads, docks. no limit but you might not have everything on a given body of water!

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:46 pm

top water will produce a lot in the early morning and in late afternoons ive picked up a lot of fish jigging in 15 20 feet i would also be slamming deep diving crank baits into the rocks through the weeds and over wood piles but my favorite is flippin deeper cover like fallen trees in 6 to 10 feet of water

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 pm

I don't know how I left out a buzzbait. I throw it all day.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 pm

offshore weedbeds are where i belong i can get fish off them all day

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:17 pm

thanks for the tips, sounds like I am going to have to spend more time in the deeper water, I think my problem was when I fished I spent to much time throwing spinnerbaits and such at structure in shallow water. Since my work schedule will be normal this year I am hoping to be able to make most of the big boat tournys, I am defiantly starting to get the inch, got the boat out today to install a new fishfinder and removed most of the floor to start laying down new vinyl... Come on spring Very Happy

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:58 pm

yea ive notice for me spinner baits work better early in the season and late but main times i throw spinner baits are on over cast days and on wind blown shore line and points a lot fish move down to cooler water and seek out shaded areas to hang out till it cools off

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 pm

basshunter93

yea ive notice for me spinner baits work better early in the season and late but main times i throw spinner baits are on over cast days and on wind blown shore line and points a lot fish move down to cooler water and seek out shaded areas to hang out till it cools off

I agree with the wind although i do throw them on any given day but the best results are with a little wind.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 pm

This is a very good question to which you will recieve many answers...to which they are all correct....In the summer you can use a multitude of baits, some will work great on one day, and not well on others.....It all comes down to Time on the water, and experimentation. There will be many days when you will say to yourself .....I should have tried this, or that, and you will be correct. I don't want to sound vague, but if you are on a body of water, and even your GO-TO bait is not working try something else. Nothing special....just try it, you would be amazed at the time.... I know there are a bunch of guys that have wasted a good part of the day trying what the use all the time, and do not catch a fish until it's too late,now you need to catch fish in a hurry because you are running out of time, and bang....they start to hit...Experiment.....even if you use something strange for 15 minutes.....it may work...If you have nothing in your livewell it cant hurt!!!!!

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 pm

This is a question with a million answers that could be correct one day and wrong the next. My one suggestion is don't stick to the shore line... 90% of the guys pound the shore, and its a natural tendency to throw to things we can see such as lay downs and docks.

You'll catch individual fish this way on the shore, but fish also school offshore. Use your maps and electronics for grass/weeds in 4 to 10 feet of water. Will almost always be grass in the vegetation. Then look for extended points and humps. On these type structures you can catch several fish off one spot. Try different stuff... Crankbaits and moving stuff first, then slow down with a plastic bait.

All the tourneys I did we'll in last year I found something offshore, threw a marker bout and caught several fish off one spot.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:35 pm

I'm tossin frog in slop all summer.
I like tossing top waters like spooks buzz baits in late summer.

This year I'm gona spend more time fishing deep water!

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks for the excellant advise fellas. I think i will focus my efforts in deeper water this summer.

Dhutch: i see your team name is coastguard.... do u work out of boston.

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:27 pm

I spent over 10 years in the Coast Guard and also received my undergrad degree and commission from the academy.... But I am old now, that was when I was younger. My last job in Boston was as OPS Boss on Spencer out of Boston on Commercial street. But a many years ago, before 9/11, when we just chased druggies, harassed Gloucester/Bedford fisherman... And didn't have to worry about psycho terrorist

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 pm

now he patrols the Mystic lakes

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links