Anybody land any Stripers or blues yet? The herring run is over, they should be around somewhere!! Laughing

Posted Mon May 07, 2012 2:20 pm

bcodkind

Anybody land any Stripers or blues yet? The herring run is over, they should be around somewhere!! Laughing

Herring run is not over. Wink Saw plenty of herring in the Charles river today and a friend said they were thick in the canal this weekend. I would imagine that there are bass from the south shore of MA and the cape to the north shore and everywhere in between. Give the bluefish another week or two and they should be everywhere.

Posted Mon May 07, 2012 2:49 pm

I have a trout left over in my freezer from Houghton's. Do you think I could chop it up and use it for chunk bait for Stripers?

Posted Mon May 07, 2012 2:53 pm

bcodkind

I have a trout left over in my freezer from Houghton's. Do you think I could chop it up and use it for chunk bait for Stripers?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU CAN NOT USE A TROUT FOR BAIT. PERIOD. It doesn't matter whether you're fishing in freshwater or saltwater. Trout are a game fish not a bait fish!
Not sure what the fine would be but I imagine it would be a lot of $$$.

Here are the Freshwater regulations regarding bait fish.
BAIT
Permit required to take baitfish for purpose of sale; see Permits. Individuals trapping fish for personal use as baitfish may use only one trap. Individuals trapping baitfish under a commercial license may use more than one trap.

Frogs (except leopard frogs) 2½ inches or less snout to vent may be used as bait; 10 daily, 10 in possession; may not be sold.
Baitfish may be taken by licensed anglers at any time (except for purposes of sale) with a rectangular net not exceeding 36 square feet of net area or by a hoop or circular net not exceeding 6 feet in diameter or with a fish trap with openings not exceeding one inch. The following species may be taken for personal use as bait by licensed anglers. Only the fish species listed below may be used as bait, live or dead.
American eel
Banded killifish
Bluntnose minnow
Creek chubsucker
Emerald shiner
Fallfish
Fathead minnow
Golden shiner
Mummichog
Pumpkinseed
Rainbow smelt*
Yellow perch
Spottail shiner
White sucker
* Smelt may be taken only by hook and line. Possession or use of smelt as bait in inland waters other than during the smelt season is prohibited.

Herring: For current regulations on the use, possession, and taking of herring contact the Division of Marine Fisheries, (617) 626-1520 or www.mass.gov/marinefisheries.

In saltwater you can use,
Mackerel
Pogies (Menhaden)
Eels
Bunker
Harbor Pollack

Last edited by tunameltdown on Mon May 07, 2012 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon May 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Well fortunately I've never done it. Oh well, guess I'll just have to eat it!! Any idea where I can pick up razor clams or other good chunk bait on the south shore (Weymouth area)

Posted Mon May 07, 2012 3:01 pm

bcodkind

Well fortunately I've never done it. Oh well, guess I'll just have to eat it!! Any idea where I can pick up razor clams or other good chunk bait on the south shore (Weymouth area)

Get yourself some fresh mackerel and you will be all set.

Posted Mon May 07, 2012 3:06 pm

tunameltdown

bcodkind

Here are the Freshwater regulations regarding bait fish.
BAIT
Permit required to take baitfish for purpose of sale; see Permits. Individuals trapping fish for personal use as baitfish may use only one trap. Individuals trapping baitfish under a commercial license may use more than one trap.

Frogs (except leopard frogs) 2½ inches or less snout to vent may be used as bait; 10 daily, 10 in possession; may not be sold.
Baitfish may be taken by licensed anglers at any time (except for purposes of sale) with a rectangular net not exceeding 36 square feet of net area or by a hoop or circular net not exceeding 6 feet in diameter or with a fish trap with openings not exceeding one inch. The following species may be taken for personal use as bait by licensed anglers. Only the fish species listed below may be used as bait, live or dead.
American eel
Banded killifish
Bluntnose minnow
Creek chubsucker
Emerald shiner
Fallfish
Fathead minnow
Golden shiner
Mummichog
Pumpkinseed
Rainbow smelt*
Yellow perch
Spottail shiner
White sucker
* Smelt may be taken only by hook and line. Possession or use of smelt as bait in inland waters other than during the smelt season is prohibited.

Herring: For current regulations on the use, possession, and taking of herring contact the Division of Marine Fisheries, (617) 626-1520 or www.mass.gov/marinefisheries.

In saltwater you can use,
Mackerel
Pogies (Menhaden)
Eels
Bunker
Harbor Pollack

Exclamation Here's some really great info folks!! Exclamation

Posted Tue May 08, 2012 7:20 am

ct river[/img]

Posted Tue May 08, 2012 8:44 am

nice fish sf22nd. live lining?

Posted Tue May 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Blood worms. It seems pretty crazy that a striper will bite something as small as that.

Posted Tue May 08, 2012 10:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links