I know there isn't too much catfishing around here, but I'm moving down south where catfish and Striper/Hybrid fishing is popular. Right now I own a 7' H spinning Ugly Stick Tiger Lite rated 1-4oz. I bought this a few years back to replace my first striper rod that was an 8' M Ugly Stick original that I used to catch a few stripers on chunk bait, but wasn't great for throwing artificials.

I guess down in Arkansas there is some world class striper fishing in some on the lakes and rivers down there. Also, cat fishing is pretty good as well. I would like to use this 7' Tiger Lite into a catfishing/Striper set up. Since the seasons don't really over lap, Striper fishing is best down there in the spring well the water is still cool.

I was thinking about spooling my reel with 65# braid and using it for casting plugs, spoons, and cut/live bait for stripers. I'd use a leader on flouro if needed. Are stripers too line shy to hit a plug on a braided line?

If anyone is familiar with catfishing, would this set up be ok? I think Ive read peopkle using like 30# mono, and I know of someone who sets up string lines with hook and bait to trees along a river and he catches cat fish, so I don't think they are the slightest bit line shy.

Most of the stripers/hybrids will be 5-15# with possibility of a 20#+ And I'm not sure of the catfish. I know that channel cats are smaller than blues and flatheads. But I'm guessing most of the fish would be in the same range.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 am

I do a lot of catfishing around the area in western mass and this year was prolly the best ive had in awhile with one cat that was 18lbs. I have two setups for catfishin both 7'5 i used #25 lbs line and how hard those things fight i was breaking a couple fish off now and then so i couldnt take it anymore. Went and bought 30 and 50lbs braid didnt lose one cat this year.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks, I'll probably start off with 50# braid and see how that works.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:30 pm

I use 50# braid on my striper setups and most of my other setups too. I think it is the equivalent diameter of 14# mono so you can still get a lot of line on a good sized spool in case those cats make a run for it.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:47 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links