need some help guy's strike king raging shad with a 5,0 hook that i'm told is recommended.thrown into heavy cover,thrown in and around stumps in the shallows.great action from the tail i get a lot of hit's put i can't hook up.i was told to wait till i feel the weight of the fish before setting the hook.i think i'm trying to do this but i am still not hooking up.i tried it again today got hit 5 times in about 15 minutes no luck.changed to crankbait caught 6 bass.i just can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. need some suggestion please.

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:44 pm

I would try using a 4.0 hook maybe and don't wait that long to set the hook, if it's shallow enough you should be able to watch the line movement and react to that. maybe count to three and then set. or just wait till you see a steady take off of the line then set it.
but i would try a smaller hook at first. maybe between waiting to feel the fish and the 5.0 hook, the fish is just spitting it out.
good luck

Posted Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:07 am

What type of line are you using? I won't throw a bait of that type on anything but braid. I throw frogs alot and wouldn't even think of using anything but braid!

Posted Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:54 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links