So I have always heard that St. Croix rods are very good, and even better, they are made in the USA. Well, after searching the Dicks Sporting Goods web site, I have found that they advertise their country of origin to be Mexico. A customer actually brought this up in a review.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I was thinking about picking up a Triumph this spring, and I'll probably still try one since I've only heard good things about St. Croix, but I am kind of disappointed about finding out they aren't made in America like I thought. Know wonder why our economy is in the crapper, is anything made here anymore? I guess without the cheap foreign labor everything would be even more expensive though. So I guess it's a catch 22.

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:32 pm

there lowere rnds are made in mexico i own 5 rods from them there awsome and there customer service rocks

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:58 pm

there top models are made in america

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:59 pm

this info is just for spinning rods. I had a 2 piece 6.6 ft ml premier model that was a real nice rod, I have seen the triumphs that dick's sells and was not impressed. found them to be a little top heavy and had less guides than the better models.

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:20 am

I havent been to dicks in awhile, but I dont remember the Triumph's being heavy. I am looking for a decent rod in the 70-100 range, and I figured it would be a great entry level rod that I could buy a couple of and not break the bank. I wish I could afford $150+ for a single fishing rod, but I can't.

I feel like a lot of people have bad things to say about any rod these days. Lower end rods, they are too heavy and they aren't sensitive enough. Higher end rods, too fragile and break too often.

I don't think Id want a $150 rod right now because most of the time I keep my rods and tackle bag in the back of my explorer because I hate carrying all my stuff in and out of the house. Plus, if I'm out running and errand or two, or wake up early in the morning, I can shoot over to a local pond for an hour. I wouldn't want a fragile, featherlight rod bouncing around in my truck all week.

Just looking for a decent graphite rod that will catch fish and not splinter into pieces if I look at it the wrong way.

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:01 am

I cant comment too much on rods for i only own a couple at the moment, but if you are looking for some nice rods under $100 i would recommend a BPS rod like the bionic blade, carbonlite, or extreme. I have used all three and there great.

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:20 pm

bass pro has some pretty nice light rods, but I don't like all the new fancy handles on todays spinning rods, for me they are uncomfortable. they ruined the bionic blade series which was a good entry level. however they still have the IM8 walleye angler model with the very comfortable all cork handle. this is a very light rod with a balance point that is closer to the reel than any spinning rod I have ever seen. it feels like you are holding a feather. I have 4 of them now, I like the 6ft med light the most. they have gone up in price over the years and are now $89. check them out.

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:32 pm

MOJO

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:47 pm

For whatever reason all the big companies make rods and reels specifially for Dick's. You will see a rod or reel made by Shimano or whoever and if you go to the companies website you will not find that item. All the Okuma reels that Dick's carries are made just for them. I called Okuma and it was confirmed Exclamation

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:43 pm

I have a mojo spin rod that I just bought, not that impressed with it! Its just not that sensitive.

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:58 pm

I have a mojo spin rod that I just bought, not that impressed with it! Its just not that sensitive.

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:03 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links