I use spinnerbaits a lot. But I have two issues with them.

First issue has to do with the line attachment point. Most spinnerbaits use a simple bend in the wire for the line attachment point. I use snap swivels, which on the cast will often slide down the wire and hang up on the blades, which requires a good hard tug on the line in order to get that swivel to re-seat at the attachment point so that the bait can be retrieved properly. I suppose if I were tying directly to the spinnerbait I wouldn't have this problem nearly so much. I also see that some spinnerbaits put a twisted loop in the wire at the attachment point. Can anyone provide insight into why most spinnerbaits don't have a loop connector? Is there some advantage to the simple bend in the wire version?

Second issue has to do with durability. I've mostly used the Dicks brand made by Strike King because they are most affordable. However I am slowly amassing a collection of crippled spinnerbaits, in almost all cases the large willow leaf blade has come off due to a split ring failure leaving just the wire loop. I am wondering if other spinnerbaits might be more durable. Recommendations are encouraged.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 am

Boo-yah is my fav brand

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 11:34 am

kizel13

Boo-yah is my fav brand

same here booyahs been my go to spinnerbait for a while

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 12:08 pm

Terminator's, and River2Sea lately, Strike King Premiers have been fine in the past.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 1:16 pm

BooYah has a new line at Dick's with some fantastic new colors. I was most impressed by the "real gill" color. There's a couple of crayfish colors too. They have a closed attachment point instead of just the bend which would work for snap swivels.

As for the detached blades, maybe a bag of split rings and some pliers? :/

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 6:11 pm

not sure about the bend but it might have to do with flexibility and the better vibration. i like ganns stiletto, war eagle, and revenge.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 6:58 pm

John, this pisses me off too, on a regular basis. I used a wacky ring, double looped to eliminate the gap on the wire when I landed the Northern in my profile pic. We can discuss further tomorrow morning.

Posted Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 pm

John...

You know what I use...at the $$ I pay when the fish rip em up I simply get rid of em and get new ones...the ones I showed you have the loop for the snap attachment... love em....

Shhhhhhh....remember the agreement!

PJ

Posted Sun May 19, 2013 6:24 pm

Hey Rick, the only issue with those spinnerbaits is the double hook configuration makes it difficult to attach a grub. But they sure are awesome otherwise and I use them regularly.

Posted Mon May 20, 2013 6:07 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links