I thought water in Massachusetts was pretty clean... looks like most of it has PCB, mercury... this is quite scary!

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/environmental/exposure/fish-consumption-advisory-list.pdf

Do you guys eat some fish you catch?

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:10 am

Not freshwater... It's not really worth it. I grew up eating my catch, but I'm not that hard up for a meal to risk it.

I have a couple crappie and catfish holes I've thought of just eating a load of 1-3 year old fish from, but I've never followed through.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:16 am

No. It is quite scary. It makes me also wonder about the water we drink.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:23 am

Nope.... Catch and Release only!! Just as much for my safety as the keeping the fish in the lakes. If I want to eat fish, Hannafords has everything I need....

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:33 am

Ok I see. Is this a problem in all new england or is it just in Mass? I was thinking to do a trip later this year in champlain lake in vermont or in the 1000 islands to look for big pikes or salmon and eat some of them but if it is the same no need to go that far...

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:57 am

i personally would never eat anything out of freshwater in MA. i dunno about up there but i think part of the problem with mercury is the acid rain.

a big clean place with stocked salmon would be safer i'm sure.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:48 pm

samf

a big clean place with stocked salmon would be safer i'm sure.

any suggestions for places with stocked salmon?

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:01 pm

Comet pond used to get stocked with plenty of salmon. Wachusett res has land lock salmon.

Posted Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:46 pm

salmon dont exist! all lies! god damn unicorns

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:41 am

Bassturds is right. lol. A neighbor-friend's father got a 10# Salmon out of Walden Friday. We talk fishing the at kids' parties and functions. He hit powerbait on a dinky spinner with 5# test. This guy is far into retirement, sold his boat, and caught loads of 50# stripers in his life. Point being: he knows what he's doing and spends MANY hours fishing places with unicorn salmon and got 1.

As far as eating fish. ... I think some of the kettle ponds are OK.

I would like to find inexpensive test kits and check a couple little fish for myself. Our fish and game department doesn't impress me one bit. If it's that bad, how would the fish live?

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:52 am

"Our fish and game department doesn't impress me one bit. If it's that bad, how would the fish live?"

I've always wondered about the mercury warnings too. Don't all fish and marine life contain naturally occurring levels of mercury anyhow? I mean, how can it be a bad idea to eat stripers more than 3 times a year if you caught them, but okay to gorge yourself (at restaurants) on tuna and "cod" supposedly caught off of the same coasts? I dunno, but I eat the heck out of fish n chips and just about any other fried seafood offering.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:38 am

While mercury is very toxic...the primary contaminates in the waters are (in addition to mercury) PCBs, insecticides, various fertilizing compounds for lawns, and storm drain runoff from roadways.

The Mercury contamination originates in the exhaust of coal fired power plants. The PCBs come from electrical power lines and transformers, the insecticides come from state and local mosquito abatement efforts, The fertilizers come from peoples lawns and the run off come from automobiles.

Most of the Rivers in Mass have at one time been used as open sewers for various factories and cities such as Boston piping house hold waste, untreated, directly into the water.

So are the fish safe to eat? Yes in moderation.

It can be argued that the fish you catch are safer than the fish you buy in the market because you know it is wild caught and not farm raised in a toxic farm pond somewhere in Asia. If you want to buy fish at the store make sure it is either wild caught in US waters or is farm raised in the US. Any fish sourced from Asia is as toxic if not more toxic than local fish.

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:56 am

interesting list. notice DDT is listed. this chemical has been banned since 1972

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:00 am

I find it interesting that I wrote PCB and you read it to mean DDT.

Here are some links on the pesticides used to suppress mosquitos in Mass:

http://npic.orst.edu/mlrDetail.html?lang=en&to=CEX&state=MA#MAWaltham

Here is link on pesticide toxicity in Bees, which I found interesting in a tangental way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide_toxicity_to_bees

Here is an EPA Link on PCBs:

http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/hazard/tsd/pcbs/about.htm

Finally, here are some links on the toxicity of plastic bags.

http://www.care2.com/causes/plastic-shopping-bags-laced-with-dangerous-levels-of-toxic-lead.html

It is ironic that the use of lead weights by fisherman is deemed an environmental hazard but the ubiquitous use of plastic shopping bags, which is a much bigger environmental problem continues to this day.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:44 am

I find it interesting that I wrote PCB and you read it to mean DDT.

Well, the link you originally posted lists DDT warnings as well as PCB ones at different locations (Mystic River seems like a winner, lol). Thanks for the newer ones, some interesting (and sort of depressing) reading for sure.

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:49 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links