Just wondering if you guys could give me a bit of a primer on spinning rods and reels. I've been using a two-piece 6'6" Eagle Claw Water Eagle with the stock reel that comes on them, but would like to upgrade before next season gets underway. Needless to say, the amount of brands, sizes, and other options available are overwhelming. What brands are considered high-end (Ugly Stik? Shimano?), and what is the most important feature when choosing a reel? If it matters, I'm usually fishing from shore, usually on small ponds or rivers. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:06 pm

You can't go wrong with an Abu Garcia Vendetta or Veritas rod. Vendetta is an $80 rod and the Veritas is a $100.00 rod. With spinning reels you don't need to spend more then $50-$60 of the reel. Go to bass pro and pick up any Pfluger or Johnny Morris reel in that price range and you will be fine.

BPS tourney special rods are great for the money. They usually go on sale around christmas. You should be able to find them around $40.00 during hte holidays.

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Cool, thanks for the tips! I was looking at Pflueger and Shimano reels earlier. This might be a dumb question, BUT are reels specific to line types? I keep seeing a lot of them advertising being "braid ready," which is something I have little experience with (I like flouro) . . .

Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:13 pm

the Phfluger president is like 69 bucks at BPS and i just got one and it was one of the best deals i have ever got on a reel def. worth the money the drag is super smooth on it!

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:35 am

I second the Pflueger president deal. You could grab this combo and be done with it...

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-President-Spinning-Reel/Bass-Pro-Shops-Graphite-Series-Rod-Spinning-Combos/product/1212040610323/

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 am

I've had the pflueger president reel with 15lb power pro for a while and it is a good set up for the money. Drag is smooth and casts great. Definitely gets my vote.

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:51 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links