Hey all,

Anyone seen or caught any Rock Bass in the Sudbury or elsewhere. I heard there are a few spots in Mass where they live but not many.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 7:45 am

Lake Quinsig is full of them ..... especially around the flats near the twin islands. Small soft plastics will usually bring em in.

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks for the Reply and suggestion! I'll check it out.

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 8:10 am

I get them via the fly on the stretch of the French river below Hodges village. I have had great success on my pan fish bugs, wooley buggers ( of course ) and hopper patterns for them, mostly in browns/greens and red..spin gear a good old rooster tail with a large brown tail with a spot of red on a medium speed retrieve has always brought me good fish there. Noticing a pattern of colors for the French river? Razz

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 am

Thanks for the reply. I fly fish a decent amount so that's good to know. Maybe i'll pull out the hoppers and have a go. Very Happy

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 9:02 am

You won't regret it if you do. I take my canoe from Hodges Village to the old train bridge in Webster...there are spots for shore fishing or a bit of wading, as well in many areas if you don't have a boat. It is a pretty good fishery, while I've never managed anything huge, there is a good assortment of pan fish including some decent sized rock bass, I've also had a bunch of yellow perch, pickerel, trout in the lower sections, and large mouth bass to 3 pounds or so. Fishing hoppers on the surface during the summer I've had some days with remarkable numbers of fish coming to visit.

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 10:41 am

Lake Quinsig has some nice ones, around the route 9 bridge

Good Luck

Ed

Posted Thu May 10, 2012 12:50 pm

I caught four rock bass on worms at Lake Quinsig as well...not quite a pound, but better than what was not biting!

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Yup he did, and he Whiped my ass again also

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I hit Quinsiq last weekend but the weather wasn't great - windy and cold. I managed a large sunfish and what I think was a trout that threw my hook on the 2nd jump.

I also tried the French river. I was only able to fish about 30 minutes, but managed a bunch of sunnies and crappie on the fly.

I'm going back to Quinsiq (and maybe the French) this weekend to try again. I don't have a boat so i have to pick my spots.

Thanks again!

Posted Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:34 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links