Hey all,

Over the years I have dabbled on a few fishing sites. For the most part it was frustrating due to one recurring reason: lack of information transfer.

Now I know if you have a small "honey"pond that is easily overfished, sure, keep that to yourself. But when discussing most places I am looking to share the most details that I can and would like the same from the members. Looking over threads here, it does seem the community here is excellent about sharing spots and techniques.

Anyways, great weather today. Slow smoked a ham and it was sunny and warm. Fishing itch is really going now.

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm

This is the only forum I go on because there are a great group of people here always willing to help and share

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:58 pm

Agreed..even our disagreements tend to be somewhat constructive.

I feel that most of the active members here are pretty helpful and there is a good rounded mix of angling tips for a bunch of species. By far one of the better websites I have ever come across in that regard.

Carp fishing is killer for it. While there are not a ton of us to begin with..the vast majority of carp groups, even with paid memberships are extremely closed lipped about techniques and locations. Many people won't even mention rivers..I mean if you don't wanna give me a spot, I get it..but if i ask if the Merrimack river has carp for instance..how is that a secret?

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:00 pm

Blackstone,
Exactly. I love carp fishing, but most of my best spots are only good for high water on the Merrimack. Best one? Going down route 110 along the Merrimack towards the Dracut side (after the Cascade apartments), about 50 yards before the restaurant (used to be "The Windsor Locks" or something) there is a wash channel that feeds into the river. Its about 15 feet wide and when the water is high the carp just stack up in there. I mean 20-30 fish. The hard part can be targeting the bigger fish because they are all so eager to bite. Best to go after a few days of rain if river is medium to high.

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:14 pm

I carp fish with my kids in the spring at the under the double decker bridge in the Merrimack where the Shawsheen comes in. I don't know much about carp or fishing for them, but really appreciate the info and tips from you guys, because we would definately do more of it, if we knew more and had more success. We have caught some 10 - 12 pounders down there, but it's not a very friendly spot to fish with kids, and not an easy place to land fish for anyone. There are some nice small ponds that we fish near there and catch bass. We see the carp and have tried to catch them a couple of times using corn and bread. Any tips are appreciated as we just want some nice fish, a picture and some memories. We live in North Andover about a quarter mile from the double decker if anyone knows of good spots.

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:31 pm

Nice, I'll have to keep that in mind. I tend to fish a lot in through the Haverill section out near Riverside Park as well as Amesbury ( Alliance Park ) where the Pow Wow meets the M'mack. A bunch of places in in between as well. Love me some tidal carp fishing.

Also do some stuff in Lowell at the one park along Pawtucket Street, across the river from the Lyndon Library.

I mean the whole river is great and I had a blast taking a few years to explore it with friends. We will have to hit it up some time.

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:35 pm

univland

I carp fish with my kids in the spring at the under the double decker bridge in the Merrimack where the Shawsheen comes in. I don't know much about carp or fishing for them, but really appreciate the info and tips from you guys, because we would definately do more of it, if we knew more and had more success. We have caught some 10 - 12 pounders down there, but it's not a very friendly spot to fish with kids, and not an easy place to land fish for anyone. There are some nice small ponds that we fish near there and catch bass. We see the carp and have tried to catch them a couple of times using corn and bread. Any tips are appreciated as we just want some nice fish, a picture and some memories. We live in North Andover about a quarter mile from the double decker if anyone knows of good spots.

If your looking for some action, maybe not huge fish but great for the kids with a bunch of carp to 10 lbs or so..hit the other side ( north side ) of Lawrence along Milk Street Hills Pond. There are 2 ponds back to back with a good population of fish. be great through the spring before the weeds become an issue.

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:39 pm

If you like the Concord river there are plenty of mirror carps right around the bend after the 6-arch bridge in Lowell (I grew up down the block):

Got a few 25 plus pounders off that spot but it's so 'snaggy' you end up losing many rigs and I hate to leave a bunch of line torn off in the water. Big fish though.

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks Blackstone and Grayrider. Blackstone I'd like to hit a spot wth you sometime and learn a few things. I have four kids grayrider so lost tackle is a never ending expense and aggravation, but big fish sounds good. Think I can fish there with the kids my youngest is 6, but hikes and fishes with me to most of my bass and trout spots. I feel like I need to tie her off at the Merrimack though, so i won't have a heart attack. The other three teens, so I only lost just one........

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:10 pm

the other three are teens, so if I only lost one......

gonna check out that Milk Street Place....Pretty spot Grayrider

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:14 pm

univland

Thanks Blackstone and Grayrider. Blackstone I'd like to hit a spot wth you sometime and learn a few things. I have four kids grayrider so lost tackle is a never ending expense and aggravation, but big fish sounds good. Think I can fish there with the kids my youngest is 6, but hikes and fishes with me to most of my bass and trout spots. I feel like I need to tie her off at the Merrimack though, so i won't have a heart attack. The other three teens, so I only lost just one........

Yeah, we will def hit up some places as the weather warms. Better to learn when the fish are really active. They are getting caught now, but I wouldn't call it action packed yet. April/May will start to really turn em on.

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:40 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links