I just bought some suffix 832 braid and want to put it on my reals but i'm not sure if letting it sit for a couple months without use is gonna effect the line at all. I also want to put it on because I'm hoping to find some open water down in CT by the weekend with the warm front were supposed to have.

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:20 am

Putting it on your reel wont effect it at all. It has zero memory and wont coil on you like mono or floro. I have used the same spool of braid for 2 complete seasons. After season 1, I just switch it to a different reel by opening the bail of the reel its on and reeling it onto the 2nd reel. Now the bottom is the top and the top is at the bottom by the spool. The line you are now using has never touched the water. Remember to always have some mono tied to the spool and then tie the braid to the mono. You only need a few feet but to save even more $$$ fill the spool 1/4 of the way with mono. You are NEVER going to be casting that far that you will reach the mono backing. Now you have less braid on that reel, maybe enough to fill a 2nd spool in the same way. Braid has a tendency to spin on the spool if it is not tied to some mono 1st.

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am

stratos1966

Putting it on your reel wont effect it at all. It has zero memory and wont coil on you like mono or floro. I have used the same spool of braid for 2 complete seasons. After season 1, I just switch it to a different reel by opening the bail of the reel its on and reeling it onto the 2nd reel. Now the bottom is the top and the top is at the bottom by the spool. The line you are now using has never touched the water. Remember to always have some mono tied to the spool and then tie the braid to the mono. You only need a few feet but to save even more $$$ fill the spool 1/4 of the way with mono. You are NEVER going to be casting that far that you will reach the mono backing. Now you have less braid on that reel, maybe enough to fill a 2nd spool in the same way. Braid has a tendency to spin on the spool if it is not tied to some mono 1st.

Thanks for the info stratos! I've been using mono as backing to save some $ but didn't realize it was serving other purposes as well, good ta know!

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links