Just sitting at work on a Friday morning with my mind on fishing instead of work and wondering if anyone has any pre fishing trip rituals.

I know if I’m going out fishing the next day I usually grab a beer(or three) and sit on my back porch the afternoon/night before with all my poles and spend an hour or so tying leaders, maybe changing line, checking the forecast, setting up the poles, organizing my tackle box, etc...

So what’s your pre-trip thang?

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:12 am

I to like to run through my gear the night before but never seem to have the time.
I always have the time to take a quick study of the map and check the weather forecast discussion on NOAA.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:17 am

Usually run through my gear the nigh before and make sure all is good. Line is in good shape, enough hooks, baits, etc. If I am planning on moving around alot, then I will trim down what I am going to bring or if I am planning on sitting in one spot for a bit, then I will make sure I have my backpack all set up. I will also make sure that I am bringing the right gear - strictly fishing for bass, then I will make sure I have the right hooks, lures, plastics etc. Or fishing for trout, then changing up my hooks, baits etc.

I also like to watch the forecast and do any last minute reviews online(google maps, this website and a few others.) Last I make sure that my phone is charged as I tend to use it quite a bit while I am out there checking any maps, weather, etc.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:34 am

My ritual is to go through trips on MAFF at the same lake. Try to pick up some tips Smile

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 am

I always set up my poles for what i plan to use the night before.
I also talk to my boat to encourage it to put me on fish.I always make sure I have a chocolate milk to drink before i get on the water.Went to
Maine last weekend with three other guys.They were busting me for drinking chocolate milk.We did $5.00 for the biggest fish each day.
I got biggest fish two out of three days thanks to my chocolate milk Very Happy .

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:20 am

I may have to add chocolate milk to my routine. I like to do a lot of the same stuff as you guys. Retie or change lines. Since I run a cartopper I always have to make sure I charge my batteries and don't forget them in the garage. I'll usually leave a big note on my steering wheel or drivers seat to remind me.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:39 am

My night before ritual would be to check line and respool or retie leaders, sharpen hooks, check lures and upgrade hooks, tie on lures I plan on using, have backup for all lures I tied on, pack lunch and drinks, charge phone, pack sunglasses and sunscreen. Now what did I forget?

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:09 pm

My night before ritual would be to check line and respool or retie leaders, sharpen hooks, check lures and upgrade hooks, tie on lures I plan on using, have backup for all lures I tied on, pack lunch and drinks, charge phone, pack sunglasses and sunscreen. Now what did I forget?

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:11 pm

My thing is watching the weather, which is usually wrong Exclamation Laughing I fish out of a yak so I am always concerned about the wind Exclamation Other than that is is just load the yak and go Exclamation

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 pm

My buddy called me at 9 tonight asking if I want to go fishing in the morning? I just spent the last 2 1/2 hours prepping. Hope the wheather holds? Bed time...

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Night before i go thru my gear,re-tie,tie on whats needed for the location i'm going too,do a quick once over of the pond map,check the weather reports and lay out my lucky fishing clothes,and then toss and turn trying to sleep like a kid on Cristmas Eve because i love to go fishing!!!Smile

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:21 am

Too much to list, one thing that never changes is the second I leave the house " Blackened" by Metallica gets cranked and Im off!

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:09 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links