Hi guys, I'm looking for a reel with the right gear ratio for crankbaits. I mostly fish shallow to med depth cranks but would fish deeper cranks if I was at a location that called for it. I have two Lews BB1 pro's in 7.1:1 and I love them. They are very nice reels, can cast a mile and I'm very comfortable with them. I know it's better to have a low gear ratio for cranks but Lews does not make a 5.1:1 BB1 pro in left hand which I need. They do however have a BB1 pro 6.4:1 in left hand. Will that gear ratio be ok for cranks or is it still a little to fast?
Thanks ahead of time.

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Just need to consciously slow down your reel and you can use 6:4:1

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:48 pm

Lews has a 5.1lefty in the BB1 speed spool series. The brakes are different than on the reels that you have so it takes a little getting used to but overall it's a good reel. I have both and I like the pro better because of the brakes. Also consider the Abu Garcia revo winch. It comes in lefty. I have that reel too and I use it more than the lews. A lot of pros crank with a 6.4 ratio so you can definitely do it. You just have to be very aware of your speed. It's easy to crank too fast with the lower ratio reels so with a 6.4 you have to be aware. Hope this helps

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:18 am

Thanks for the reply guys. Now I just need to decide if I'm going with a
5x1 and dedicating it to strictly crankbaits, or get the 6.4:1 and slow it down while cranking and at the same time I will be able to use it for other types of fishing. I'm not a guy that has 10 rods on the deck so I should try to purchase a reel that gives me the most bang for my buck as a all around reel.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:37 am

I also have an Abu Garcia Revo Winch and like the 5.4:1 ratio. I also have a Shimano Chronarch 200e6 with 6:5:1 ratio, but find that to be too fast (I use that for plastics.) The Revo winch feels more "solid" when cranking, especially with 1/2 oz crankbaits. I don't know how to explain it, (maybe it's the torque of the lower gear ratio), but it just feels right to me. It's compact, light and feels super comfortable. I'm not crazy about the handle knobs, prefer the Shimano, but I guess I could change those.

Now I just need to find the perfect crankbait rod... Very Happy

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:28 am

dangermouse

I also have an Abu Garcia Revo Winch and like the 5.4:1 ratio. I also have a Shimano Chronarch 200e6 with 6:5:1 ratio, but find that to be too fast (I use that for plastics.) The Revo winch feels more "solid" when cranking, especially with 1/2 oz crankbaits. I don't know how to explain it, (maybe it's the torque of the lower gear ratio), but it just feels right to me. It's compact, light and feels super comfortable. I'm not crazy about the handle knobs, prefer the Shimano, but I guess I could change those.

Dobyns 705cb great for squarebills and mid depth cranks. The Hook up tackle is having a Father's Day 20% off sale right now

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:15 am

Isn't the most important thing knowing how much your lure moves with each twist of the handle and then controlling the speed of your lure by how fast you crank the handle?? I love my 7.1:1 reels, they can take up the slack in the line very fast, I can work creature baits along the bottom by dragging them with me rod, then taking up the slack with the reel. They say that lower ratio reels are great for large crankbaits because the gear ration gives you more torque for pulling them through deep water. I rarely throw large crankbaits and it's even more rare for me to find really deep water in the ponds I fish from. I'm still pretty much convinced that half of the equipment that is available to us, is to catch the fisherman more than it is to catch the fish. Hell, gear ratios change as the spool fills after a long cast too..... what is the difference in line pickup between a 7.1:1 and a 6.4:1? about three inches.... is that really going to make as big a difference as the speed at which you crank the handle??

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:49 pm

So I contacted Lews and spoke with Clint. He said for a extra $15 in labor he could swap a BB1 pro 5.1:1 to left hand. I took the bait and it will be here Thursday. Other than reaching out to you guys I also ran this question by the guys at Cabelas, basspro and Lews and they all agree that yes you can crank with a 6.1 but a 5.1 is the way to go for cranks.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:25 pm

fdw9652

Isn't the most important thing knowing how much your lure moves with each twist of the handle and then controlling the speed of your lure by how fast you crank the handle?? I love my 7.1:1 reels, they can take up the slack in the line very fast, I can work creature baits along the bottom by dragging them with me rod, then taking up the slack with the reel. They say that lower ratio reels are great for large crankbaits because the gear ration gives you more torque for pulling them through deep water. I rarely throw large crankbaits and it's even more rare for me to find really deep water in the ponds I fish from. I'm still pretty much convinced that half of the equipment that is available to us, is to catch the fisherman more than it is to catch the fish. Hell, gear ratios change as the spool fills after a long cast too..... what is the difference in line pickup between a 7.1:1 and a 6.4:1? about three inches.... is that really going to make as big a difference as the speed at which you crank the handle??

FDW, I thought the same thing as you at first. How much of a difference could there be? But the 5.1 is 21 inches per turn. A 6.1 is 28 inches per turn. It doesn't sound like much at first but now think about that ratio on a long cast. A 7" difference on many turns to get it back to the boat adds up to be a huge difference.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:30 pm

I agree Joe, especially when burning the lure back to the boat after the lure is out of the strike zone or you are taking up wind blown slack.....

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:18 pm

fdw9652

I agree Joe, especially when burning the lure back to the boat after the lure is out of the strike zone or you are taking up wind blown slack.....

Exactly, and those will be the times I'll be cursing because it's taking longer because it's a 5.1. Lol.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:57 pm

Now I just need to find the perfect crankbait rod... Very Happy[/quote]

Dobyns 705cb great for squarebills and mid depth cranks. The Hook up tackle is having a Father's Day 20% off sale right now[/quote]

Thanks Shawn! How is the weight of that Dobyns rod? I have a Rick Clunn MH power square bill rod that feels and casts great because of the heavy action, but it weighs a ton.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:07 pm

joep

So I contacted Lews and spoke with Clint. He said for a extra $15 in labor he could swap a BB1 pro 5.1:1 to left hand. I took the bait and it will be here Thursday. Other than reaching out to you guys I also ran this question by the guys at Cabelas, basspro and Lews and they all agree that yes you can crank with a 6.1 but a 5.1 is the way to go for cranks.

That's awesome customer service! I may have to buy a Lews for my next reel. Enjoy!

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:54 pm

dangermouse

Dobyns 705cb great for squarebills and mid depth cranks. The Hook up tackle is having a Father's Day 20% off sale right now[/quote]

Thanks Shawn! How is the weight of that Dobyns rod? I have a Rick Clunn MH power square bill rod that feels and casts great because of the heavy action, but it weighs a ton.[/quote]

I was using that Rick Clunn rod before the Dobyns. I don't know the exact weight difference but it feels 100 times lighter. It's a high quality rod with a lifetime warranty

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:54 pm

shawneramone

dangermouse

Dobyns 705cb great for squarebills and mid depth cranks. The Hook up tackle is having a Father's Day 20% off sale right now

Thanks Shawn! How is the weight of that Dobyns rod? I have a Rick Clunn MH power square bill rod that feels and casts great because of the heavy action, but it weighs a ton.[/quote]

I was using that Rick Clunn rod before the Dobyns. I don't know the exact weight difference but it feels 100 times lighter. It's a high quality rod with a lifetime warranty[/quote]

Are you thinking the 705cb glass or the 705cb? Both from what I hear are excellent rods. I was thinking about the glass myself. I really wish someone would do a thorough review on the new Dobyns fury line of rods. They are in the $100 class of rods which is a different class than the champion line obviously but they appear to be well made. I google search reviews daily but nothing yet for serious reviews. I think tackle tour usually does complete tests and reviews on rods. Hopefully they will do one.
I know the new Fury line has a 705cb in the lineup.

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:12 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links