so a buddy of mine grabbed my 14ft boat the other day and decided to fish all day. unfortunately for us we did terrible. a storm was coming and it did rain a bit but we had just a miserable day. sometimes when i go out to bass fish all i ever catch is pickerel or pumpkinseed. ive tried everything and i still cant seem to get the big bass ive been hankering for. ive tried jitterbugs, spinnerbait, poppers, crankbaits, etc. i dont get it! im not a fan of rubber worms to be honest. everybody loves them but i never catch anything with the things. regardless i even texas rigged a worm, lobbed in into some weeds, let it sink and jigged it but it got me nothing after i tried for 15+ casts. its getting discouraging cause ive tried different weather, different spots, etc and all i ever catch fish on (including some bass) is the rooster tail. its probably why its my favorite lure of all time. always works. is there anything anyone can tell me because hours of fishing with my buddy between 4 spots and only catching a few fish is starting to get old.

Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:45 pm

its hard to get use to rubber, i fought it at 1st. but then after going out alone and being determend, i got the wacky down. i myself found the slooow small jerks( inch or 2 just to get movement) seems to work well for me. but i was REALLY against them, now love them. just gotta figure out the diffrance between weeds and strikes, and hook and senko is all you need. good luck 413

Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:27 pm

alright thanks for the help. ill just have to go out and practice i guess. is that usually the best tactic to rig it up and lob it in a pod of weeds or lilt pads? i mean i know bass like cover like pads, trees, etc but ive tried many times usually with texas rigs so they stay weedless and i never get anything.

Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:40 pm

experience. I've fished all my life and it was only the past couple years where I really took it seriously. Not just going out and throwing anything at any time, but actually matching baits with water conditions and time of year. IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.

another words.......running a jitterbug in 30 feet of water in the middle of the day with white caps on the water.......don't work.

Where you are fishing matters too. I've got some of my favorite ponds down to the point that i know where in the ponds the bass don't hang out and i'll i'm going to catch is pickeral and crappy....

Baits run hot and cold with me, don't be afraid to change it up. Some guys believe you have to be dedicated to a bait.....not me. If i'm moving around a pond and throwing a bait and the fish finder shows action and nothings biting.....try a different bait.......slow it down, speed it up.

Where you fish is as important as what you fish....

Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:54 pm

well i live in a small town called palmer. not many popular or great areas to get big bass around here that i know of. sturbridge is close and they have a ton of ponds and lakes so i usually hit that up or the ware area. i am however not to knowledgeable on what lures to use depending on the weather, water conditions, etc

Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 pm

1.Grab yourself a bag of green pumpkin senkos and black blue flake.
2.Package of circle hooks and offset shank worm hooks
3. buzzbait (optional)
4. Jerkbait (spring and fall)

I would throw a wacky rigged senko near any cover (docks,trees,stumps,weed edges ect). it you want to go into the weed throw it texas rigged.
I basically throw it and let it sink. If nothing bites i try another cast. I don't work the senko back to the boat (my method).
This will catch fish!
try throwing a buzzbait on top (use trailer hook).
The weather is cooling down and fish will be moving shallow again.
Note: if you are catching pickeral with a senko you are moving the bait to fast more often than not. This happens to my kids and i know they aren't fishing slow.
I used to be a rooster tail guy and now i don't even have any left.
This is only a very small amount of information.But it is a good start.
Good luck

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:34 am

texas rigged chigger craw with a screw in rattle weight,texas or wacky rigged senko,jigs,spinner baits,buzz baits.shallow to 6 feet of water.carolina rigged worms or craws or sluggos.sluggos also work good on the free fall with a little twitch here and there.try a vertical presentation in deeper water.drop shot crankbaits,rattletraps,spinner baits.try a lift and drop with some of these.color can also matter.stained water use darker colors,clear water try some lighter colors.

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:27 pm

thanks for the help everyone. ill be workin on it

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Gary Yamamoto brand rubber worms. Get Pumpkin/some color fleck, and black with red or blue flecks. The brand matters. It is worth the money. Get some red size 3/0 offset shank hooks and go texas rigged, weightless. give them time to sink. Cast them into lily pads. You WILL catch bass.

PS- Yamamoto worms are $2 cheaper at Dick's than they are at Bass Pro.

Posted Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:50 pm

jlev44

Nice to know, thanks Smile

Posted Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:53 pm

scoobystas

jlev44

you can buy them in bulk on ebay for much cheaper then either. But usually you have to buy 100+ worms

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:45 am

derek.j

scoobystas

jlev44

you can buy them in bulk on ebay for much cheaper then either. But usually you have to buy 100+ worms

There's a place in Cherry Valley Ma that sells Garyz for 650+tax-
D&G baits---even if you're not a local---give em a call his name's dave--he might ship em to ya . . .cheapest I've found and better than the big boyz by a enough to make it a good deal.

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Also make sure you're rigging it properly to get the right action..... especially with the texas rig

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:14 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links