At spawning season, would you take a LMB of 7 lbs or bigger for a state pin? I havn't caught one that big yet. Just wondering?

Posted Sat May 22, 2010 8:20 pm

Personally, I don't take any fish at spawn. I don't even put them in the livewell. The only exception would be at a tournament during the spawn, mostly for the practical reason of not having a shot otherwise.

While any single fish being taken doesn't affect the overall population health, if everyone kept fish during the spawn there could be a noticeable impact. To add to that, catching fish on beds is a lot easier than other times. I wouldn't consider it a pin fish =)

Posted Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 am

I grew up in NY and you can't keep any bass until the 3rd weekend of June...I don't really see the need to keep something just to get it weighed. make a livewell in a cooler and bring it back, best of both worlds

Posted Sun May 23, 2010 11:27 pm

I never keep any bass anymore... my biggest larry ever was 6 pounds back in Oklahoma, so it would have to be a good 8 pounds or so for me to keep it. If it's a smallie, it would have to be 5 or 6 pounds. My biggest bass here in MA is 4 pounds, caught at Norton res.

I always try to remember to take the digital camera with me when I go fishing nowadays - they're all good, some just bite your bait abit too soon in their careers. Laughing

If want fresh fish to eat, crappies and bluegills are plentiful...

Posted Mon May 24, 2010 8:19 pm

I would not keep any size bass during the spawning season (Largemouth and Smallmouth). Personally, I don't keep any freshwater fish since most of the lakes around me would not produce great tasting fish (muddy water, etc.)

In the case of a potential record during any other time of year however, I may reconsider.

Posted Sat May 29, 2010 8:11 pm

NO

Posted Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Having now put two pin fish LMs back this year, I guess I can safely say no, I would not keep a pin fish. I do believe MA has a catch-and-release pin as well, based on length.

Posted Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links