Hey guys, I know people don't give out exact locations for fish but I am taking a fishing trip for pike this summer and don't know where to start. I need to stay in MA and I need the best chance to catch one. I've never caught one before. I was wondering if anyone could just point me in the right direction so that I have the best attempt at hooking up with a pike. Thanks in advance guys.

Posted Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:58 am

Quaboag or south pond. U shore fishing? Look for marsh grass or visible weedlines and throw big inline spinners and reel as slow as possible steadily along grass and shallow weed edges. Use brite flashy colors, pike are absolute suckers for chartuese and red but any neon greens, oranges and yellows work. This time of year I.would find the smallest shallowest pike holding body of water posdible cause if tjey have the option to they will generally be holding in deepet water this time of year so if you find a small place that doeznt get very deep then your chances of hooking up greatly increase, providing you know the spot actually holds pike. Go.on ma.gov pond maps and look for the smallest , shallowest possible place that it says holds pike and then just narrow it down by findi.g tje best ambush spots on that particular body of water. Remember they want to use as little energy as possible to hunt so keep this in mind and look at spots you think would make easy ambush locations. Good luck pike are really fun fight on rod and reel.

Posted Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:44 pm

You can try any of the major rivers within the state. I know the Connecticut , concord, Charles, and the , merrimac all have fairly good populations of pike. If you are unsure of the waters, trolling big spinners , spoons or jerk baits work well. From my experience during the hot weather a deep diving (big) crank bait also work well at this time of the year. If you havnt caught one yet be patient the old timer that turned me onto to pike said " your average time for catching a pike could be 40 hours between fish. The last pike I caught this year hit a large in-line silver spinner. Try and match up your lure color to the bait fish that are in the body of water you fish. Where I go herring and shad run in the rivers. So I try to stay in that silver to light blue colors. Good luck hope this helps you out?

Posted Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:44 pm

We need ICE!!!! Than you'll get a fresh water GATOR!!!!!
Sorry, I now it's early for the ICE but you asked about Pike.

Last 2 weeks in June till 1st 2 weeks in July they are down right mean and nasty and always lloking for a Big Spoon with a Buck Tail or the Whopper Plopper Yeah Bruiser!!

Posted Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Sudbury River, Charles River, Quaboag, Woods Pond on the Housatonic River, Wequaquet Lake all hold pike.

Posted Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:40 pm

I would fish the BOAG!!!! and dont wait too much longer, the water may still be up, you'll need it. Big Bait or whatever your gonna use, I have found that when trolling, go faster than normal. Or even put a little peice of a nightcrawler on the end of what your using, I bet that Garlic would work, the Carp love it and come to find out the Smallie do too. Even float a Dead Bait thru the Craulup, just hold on

FYI
They try to practice Catch and Release at the Boag, I know a great taxidermist that does Replicas if needed, but it's your trophy. Don't put your hands in the water!! hahahahhaha

Posted Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links