I used to always wear it when I ran my Stratos. Shamefully, since I have gone the cartopper route I stopped. Sad

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:42 pm

I dont wear mine either but I can at least swim. I know that does not do much in super cold water but out of the two guys, one could swim and one could not. The guy who died was reported could not swim.

I cant understand how someone who does NOT know how to swim could go out in deep water in a canoe without a pfd.

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 pm

You can't swim to shore in 45 degree water. Your muscles shut down. You're dead -- unless someone pulls you to safety.

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm

One trick for boaters that may go over board, especially us larger bodied types that arent gonna be able to pull 250-300 pounds back into the boat in this cold. You can sit on your lower unit and hit the trim button. It can at least get you out of the water in an emergency!

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:13 pm

bloomagoo

You can't swim to shore in 45 degree water. Your muscles shut down. You're dead -- unless someone pulls you to safety.

I dont disagree with you at all. I am just saying you can fall off a boat 20 feet from shore and swim in or at least have a fighting chance. I know the odds are bad. To NOT be able to swim and be in water over your head is just a death sentence should something happen.

Cold water aside, if you are in a canoe in deep water, and you cant swim and do not wear a pfd it is foolish beyond words.

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:25 pm

i'll sometimes wear it to help keep warm too. it definitely helps.

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:46 pm

You guys in bass boats and crawdads etc. can do whatever you are comfortable with Exclamation It is mandatory for people in canoes and kayaks to wear a PFD from Sept. 15 - May 15. It is even more important this year due to the unseasonable water temps Exclamation Also, children under the age of 12 are required to wear one at all times, but that law is consistently violated Exclamation

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:16 pm

samf

i'll sometimes wear it to help keep warm too. it definitely helps.

This ~~~~~~^

Love my vest in early season or even early mornings in late summer/fall for the warmth factor. All the pockets are my stashes for my tools, e-cigs, wallet and phone. Always wear mine.

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:27 pm

When in the harbor it was so cold there was ice field in the salt water i was wearing a sweater insulated jeans and workboots def sucked swimming to the dock

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:19 pm

simply amazing reading some of the responses here. This is life or death we are talking about folks. Anglers spend hundreds, if not, thousands of dollars on rods, reels, lures, fishfinders, etc...., but won't spend $100 for a comfortable vest which will be worn at all times.??????????

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:18 am

I always practice safety but after May 15 I choose to go naked but I do wear my vest because it enables me to carry my beers in the pocket
ONLY KIDDING.

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:59 pm

popeye

I always practice safety but after May 15 I choose to go naked but I do wear my vest because it enables me to carry my beers in the pocket
ONLY KIDDING.

By beer you meant spinach right? Smile

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:37 pm

pockets full of shells - eh beer

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:30 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links