Heading South for the weekend. Hoping to do some fishing. Which do you recommend, Oldham or Furnace?

I have to fish from shore so keep that in mind. Also, which has decent shore access? Where is it?

I've driven around Furnace and it doesn't look like there is much in terms of access from the shore.

Posted Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:39 am

They are both currently closed due to excessive algae, and are undergoing treatment and tests. Furnace has very limited access this time of year, and its on private property (lucky dawgs), but they are generally nice to fisherman as long as we respect the property. Oldham has basically no shore access except at public beach which will be opening once tests are completed and the pond is reopened.

Posted Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:12 am

Just pulled this off the Town of Pembroke website:

Furnace Pond is now OPEN due to most recent test results! (6-27) Oldham remains closed pending new results.

So looks like Furnace it is. Where abouts can you fish from the shore there?

Posted Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:23 am

Oh good, there you go. See my last post, rt. 14. Good luck and please post your results!!

Posted Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks for your help.
I'm gonna give it a go this weekend.

Ever fish from shore there? Any suggestions, baits to use etc?

Posted Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:34 pm

put on some swimming trunks n do some wading i used to cover some serious water at oldham doing that

Posted Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:15 pm

I fished Oldham once, I liked it.

Posted Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Got out this morning for about 2 hours. Caught a nice LMB on about my 2/3 cast (spinnerbait). Then missed another nice one while pulling the spinner over the pads.

Bite really slowed as the wind picked up. Caught another small one on a worm.

Fishing anything near the bottom was near impossible, as the slime algae has taken over. What a mess. Anything bait that got near the bottom came back fully coated with slime. Kinda nasty stuff.

Suggestion: Look elsewhere for the bass until the algae bloom is under control. The city website says its been treated.

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:43 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links