I've driven by this lake a few times on my way up to Lowell. I was just looking over the MassWildlife's "Best Bets for Bass" and they list Nutting's Pond as one of them. When I look at the pond on Google Maps they have it named Nutting Lake.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience fishing here before? From what I have seen from driving by is that Middlesex Turnpike seems to be the main point of access to the lake/pond.

I hope to try some bass fishing here in the near future and see if it is a "best bet" for us!

Posted Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 pm

I've never fished it but years ago I was working in a sub-division around the corner from there,and the workers used to call it a "pickle park" if you know what I mean.Things might be different now. :lol:They said dont be there after dark or someone would try to use your pole Not sure if it was true or not but I wasnt gonna find out.Im talking about the place across from the HOC,next to the RC plane field if thats the same spot your talking about

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:43 am

i fished this place about 4 yrs ago it sucked. fished in my boat the back end of the pond was weeded out. caught a few small fish a week later a boater capsized and died he could'nt swim in the weeds.

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:01 am

this was on the charlie moore page. caption said nuttings lake, billlerica, 5.4 pounds.

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:32 am

that fish is not 5.4

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:39 am

With a name like Nuttings Lake, not sure why they would have to call it Pickle Lake...

never fished there myself but my a co-worker used to head up there a bit to fish from shore and he swore by the place. He used to complain about how weedy it is, but he said there were big ones in there.

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks for the great feed back guys! Seems to be some mixed responses on this place (and some funny ones haha). I think I will give it a try sooner or later as its only a five mile ride from where I live. I'll be sure to post back with my results when I do go.

Now my sights have been set on Spy Pond for early next week. I've never been to Spy either but from what I've been reading up on it I'm pretty excited to try it out.

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:49 pm

towelie

Now my sights have been set on Spy Pond for early next week. I've never been to Spy either but from what I've been reading up on it I'm pretty excited to try it out.

Nuttings is better than spy pond, the weeds are your friend. Cool

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:17 pm

towelie

Spy Pond is great, but if I were you I wouldn't go out of my way to get there ( I live half a mile from it, so I go there a lot).

Spy has been recently treated for weeds again, and, while there are good bass in there, their habitat has been disturbed, so they are hard to find right now. That said, they seem to be hunkering in the little cover that is left, so if you can find that cover, you will find them, and you'll do quite fine! Again, don't drive out of your way to fish it, and don't bother from shore (anymore... <sigh>).

Cheers,

Kevin

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Just to throw it out there,a 16.5 lb tiger musky(current leader)came out of spy this year.It seems spy doesnt cough up many but when it does,they're pigs.

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 pm

bam

Just to throw it out there,a 16.5 lb tiger musky(current leader)came out of spy this year.It seems spy doesnt cough up many but when it does,they're pigs.

Was that through the ice?

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:43 pm

cyclopropene

towelie

Spy Pond is great, but if I were you I wouldn't go out of my way to get there ( I live half a mile from it, so I go there a lot).

Spy has been recently treated for weeds again, and, while there are good bass in there, their habitat has been disturbed, so they are hard to find right now. That said, they seem to be hunkering in the little cover that is left, so if you can find that cover, you will find them, and you'll do quite fine! Again, don't drive out of your way to fish it, and don't bother from shore (anymore... <sigh>).

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks for the advice Kevin and everyone else that has posted since I last posted! I live in Burlington right off the highway (95/128) so Spy really isn't really a hike at all for me (6 miles away, about a 15 min ride). I have been doing lots of research trying to find new fishing holes in my relative area and keep finding new spots I want to try.

Where I will end up next week? still not sure yet... but Spy, Nuttings, and Horn are all good possibilities. I will be around the north shore too, so I may even end up somewhere in that neck of the woods too. What I do know for sure is that I will definitely be giving all of these places a chance this summer so if it doesn't happen next week, it will happen in August at some point.

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:34 pm

sd2

towelie

Nuttings is better than spy pond, the weeds are your friend. Cool

Haha yup sure are!

bam

I like the sound of that!
Sweet, Tiger Muskie... My brother also told me they were in there, and big ones... I'd LOVE to catch one of those

Posted Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:37 pm

cyclopropene

bam

Was that through the ice?

not sure but most likley

Posted Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:14 am

The tiger was through the ice, I think there was a pic somewhere, either a paper or at Arlington bait. I personally hate Spy pond, haha. never had much luck there, and the weed treatment sucks. I agree with sd2, this time of year, the weeds are gonna be holding the most fish. That's all the cover there really is at Spy, there aren't many trees or anything. just weeds and depths...

Posted Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:56 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links