Hello all,

I'm picking up my license today, and am a novice. I live in Southbridge, MA. When is a good time to start fishing ponds and streams near here? I don't have a boat, so I'll be working from shore at least this season. Any recommendations for spots?

What gear would you get as a brand new fisherman in Central-MA? Any sites that you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Posted Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:06 am

What types of fish are you looking to catch?

If you don't know a good book to start with is "Kids gone fishing"...even if you are an adult. It is a really basic book that covers all the fundamentals of fishing with a rod and reel.

Here is a link to it on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/Kids-Gone-Fishin-Freshwater-Angler/dp/0865731292

Posted Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 pm

thorn168

What types of fish are you looking to catch?

If you don't know a good book to start with is "Kids gone fishing"...even if you are an adult. It is a really basic book that covers all the fundamentals of fishing with a rod and reel.

Looks like a great book -- I just ordered a copy.

Posted Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:27 am

Google alot of questions. It is a world of information...lol
That's how I found this awesome site.
Best of luck to ya.

Posted Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:47 pm

@acuteangler

Kids gone fishing really is a good book that covers just the basics.

You won't waste time reading a story about how the author caught a 10 pounder in 1976 in the Santee cooper on a bluegill in January off a brush pile that they just put out 3 days before.

Very Happy

Posted Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Just got my copy of "Kids Gone Fishing" yesterday and read it cover to cover in one sitting. Awesome little book. Now I just gotta get out there and catch some fish!

Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 pm

One of the most helpful things in the book is the hook size chart. Getting the correct size hooks for the target fish is key too catching them.

Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:43 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links