I just got a new Shimano 2500 reel and I love it, hooked two bass today on it, but I have a slight problem; when I reel in it grinds and is a bit noisy. I dont think this should happen on a brand new reel. Any ideas. WD40? Return it?

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:49 pm

I'd return it...no sense messing around with it if its brand new. I bought a Bass Pro baitcaster reel, and after a month or 2 I thought it wasn't working properly, so I took it apart to clean it and lube it...hasn't worked right since. I think the less expensive BPS reels are crap, even if they are close to $100, but that's another story. If I hadn't messed with it, I might have been able to return it still.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Yeah , return it. Isn't worth messin up further if you dropped good money on it. One of my older Daiwa started having an issue where it was grinding/hesitating every so often, I've cleaned it, dismantled it and lubed it..but I think it is slightly crooked. If that's the case with yours no amount of wd40 will make it straight.

If you had it for a couple years, then yeah you might wanna try a few things but since that isn't the case make it someone else headache not yours Smile and just exchange it.

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks for the advice. I exchanged it for a new one and no problems.

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:15 pm

What kind of Shimano was it?

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:17 pm

It's a Spirex 2500 front drag

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:09 pm

sounds like sand or dirt? buy quantum

Posted Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:43 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links