So I got couple questions for you guys. When a "mother" bass is caught during a tournament post spawn and not returned to the water till hours after and maybe miles away from her nest, can she navigate back to her nest? And my second question. Even if she made it back, without a mother presence around would the nest be destroyed?

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:38 pm

1st of all the mother doesn't guard the nest the male does,when she's done she's gone if she is caught before she has dropped her eggs she will probably go back within a realistic amount of distance to her nest.

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks for the infomation! You learn something new every day..

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:59 pm

I have also read studies where females that have not dropped eggs and are caught and released far away will find a new male bass to partner up with. The urge to reproduce is strong in all living things.

Taking males off beds can be much more damaging especially on a fragile lake where the bass population is not strong. Unguarded fry are devoured within minutes by sunfish on an unguarded nest. On lakes where the bass are plentiful, it can , believe it or not, help. Too many bass in a lake can be a bad thing. You end up with not enough food to support the bass population and you end up with a lot of small fish.

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:23 am

both these guys definately know there s*** because they are spot on, love this place!

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks Rich, appreciate the infomation! Good Luck to all in your March Madness brackets!

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links