With most of the local water ways being so low and in some cases down right dangerous to navagate any type of vessel threw. What are some of your best ideas for fishing low water. And when I say low I mean no water on a bank or a tree that is usually in x amount of water but now is totallay out of the water.

A bigger body of water tells me to try deeper grass lines but a small shallow pond can kind of be frustrating at times imo

Posted Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:02 pm

creasekeeper

A bigger body of water tells me to try deeper grass lines but a small shallow pond can kind of be frustrating at times imo

Small, shallow ponds can be a problem when low this time of year, because the water heats up, oxygen levels drop and the fish get lethargic. But sometimes it can be a huge benefit. When I lived in Connecticut I used to fish Lake Chamberlain in Bethany, which is a reservoir, and at one point it was down like 10 feet from normal. You had to walk over the spawning beds to get to the water's edge (no boats allowed there). But the fishing was freakin' incredible, because all the fish were concentrated into a few holes, and would bite anything! I pulled pig after pig out of there one afternoon. Fishing low water during a hot summer is tough, but keep moving until you find them, because you might just find a honey-hole...

Posted Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:16 pm

take notes of where the structure/cover is and then keep it in mind when the water comes back up.

Posted Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:06 pm

This is great advice. Right now, the water is the lowest its been all sumer. I went yesterday and was amazed at all the structure that was visible that i had no idea existed. I was also able to walk 40-50 feet into the lake, or where the lake usually is. I was also able to take notice of creek channels, ledges, drop-offs, holes, and what areas are only 8 inches deep for about 40 feet into the lake.

Posted Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:49 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links