Do you tie a new knot every time you switch hard baits, or do you just clip them on to a swivel? My eyes are pretty bad up close and tying knots can get tedious. My buddy reties every time. I just use a swivel.

I'm curious what peoples opinions are on the matter. Especially on Rappalas, and jigs. Does it effect presentation that much, and what type of lure would this set-up be ill advised?

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:53 pm

I use a snap, no swivel., works for me, I am lazy.

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:33 pm

For crankbaits I use Norman quick clips magnums. The regular ones are too small. For jigs I tie direct and retie often

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:05 pm

shawneramone

For crankbaits I use Norman quick clips magnums. The regular ones are too small. For jigs I tie direct and retie often

You use magnums Thats funny Laughing

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 pm

bassist

Do you tie a new knot every time you switch hard baits, or do you just clip them on to a swivel? My eyes are pretty bad up close and tying knots can get tedious. My buddy reties every time. I just use a swivel.

I'm curious what peoples opinions are on the matter. Especially on Rappalas, and jigs. Does it effect presentation that much, and what type of lure would this set-up be ill advised?

crankbaits, jerkbaits, swimbaits and top water, I use a snap. Jigs I retie. All the others are relatively fast moving or a reaction strike. Fish usually get a decent look at a jig

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Swivel 90%

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:59 pm

shawneramone

i use the norman clips on cranks also but not the magnums, im not as manly as you so i only require the small Wink which are still 40lb test and for jigs and texas rigs and basically everything else i just retie. i sometimes use the norman clips for topwater also depending on if i am not fishing in very snaggy areas so that i can quick change if a particular topwater lure is not producing. frogs ALWAYS get direct line tie though

Posted Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Very mixed reviews for those speed clips on Cabelas and Tackle Warehouse. Think I'll stick with tried and true snap swivels.

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks, I don't feel so lazy now. That does make sense with not using them on slower presentation lures. I think I'll suck it up and start tying more. I have used snap swivels a lot on frogs and other top water baits, and I don't do that well with them. Maybe that's one reason why.

Not familiar with the Norman clips. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:09 am

I used to use 'em all the time as a kid, but now can't be bothered - the difference in bait 'performance' isn't enough for me to worry about. Tied and tuned properly, my baits seem to work just fine tied direct. The fish don't seem to be worried either. Now I just give the ol' snaps and swivels out to friends that want 'em. I prefer tying, but using snaps/swivels probably doesn't hurt much except maybe in slow presentations where they might 'spook' some fish.

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:12 am

I used the Norman speed clips exclusivly years ago without issue. I now find a snap is easier to open and close and get the bait on it then the speed clips. thats why I have changed.

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:24 am

i go with snaps on crankbaits. i tie everything else on directly and check the knot regularly.

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:01 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links