I have noticed that there seems to be a big "small boat" or car topper presence on the site. I have also noticed that the use of kayaks in fishing have become popular in the past few years. Next season I plan on getting a new small boat, either a Pelican Bass Hunter type or a small aluminum. Both of which would most likely just be eletric motor propelled. Recently, I have been debating on whether or not I should get a kayak to fish from.

This season I picked up a 14' aluminum canoe for a couple hundred bucks just to get off the shore from my favorite spot. It led to me and my brother taking it out to several new spots we have never fished. The main reason I do not like fishing from the canoe, is the total lack of boat control.(No motor attached) We have successful day where we catch fish, but staying on a spot or away from a spot to successfully cast into pads for example is almost impossible with the slightest breeze.

So, how do the people who fish from kayaks like it? Is boat control a challenge in the wind? Is it a pain to fish sitting down the whole time?

I think fishing from a kayak would be a nice new challenge, but I do value my fishing time, and don't want to deal with too many hassles out on the water? I do feel it would be easier controling a one man canoe than trying to manuvure a 14' two person canoe since you are controling the craft from the middle instead of the ends, but if I'm gonna spend more time paddling than reeling, I think I'll stick to looking into a true boat I can stick some sort of motor on to battle the wind for me.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:51 pm

I'll field this one. There are two essentials every kayaker (or canoe-er) should have, one is an anchor with at least 50 ft of rope (mine has 100 ft), the second is a drift sock. I also highly recommend that you outfit your boat with an anchor trolley. This allows you to reposition where the anchor (or drift chute) attaches to your boat, which gives you control over the direction you are facing.

Actually, I would add a third item to this list, a good seat with back support. With it you can fish all day, without it you'll be a cripple after a few hours.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:21 pm

I got a kayak that weighs 40lbs. It comes with three rod holders. Perfect for small waters. Easy to control. I fish spots that I would never Thot of fishing. I got a. Portable fish finder on it. I kick some bASS with it. I can carry it on arm. The only problem is if you want to fish with shiners theres no place to put the bucket. I'm trying to figure out how i can fish shiners. Other then that it's the perfect kayak for the solo angler

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Yeah, it can be very frustrating fishing from a yak in the wind. It doesn't take much of a breeze to push you around. I don't use an anchor so I kind of paddle to one end of the pond and drift with the wind. I plan my day of fishing based on wind direction Exclamation Laughing

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:18 am

I find that I use my anchor a lot. It's a bit of a PITA to keep pulling up when you want to change locations a lot but it is invaluable for when you need to stay put.

Kayak fishing is definitely an acquired skill. I read the kayak fishing forums on and off for four years before I even purchased my first kayak. By the time I pulled the trigger I was already familiar with drift socks, anchor trolleys, RAM mounts, fish finders, rod holders, rudders, seats, safety gear and all the other stuff that comes with the territory. To get up to speed go to NewEnglandKayakFishing.com and read through their forums, great stuff there. To see how others have set up their kayaks browse "kayak fishing" on Youtube.

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:45 am

Now for another aspect of the small boat opinion...lol

I have fished from a Pirouge (pronounced pe-row) all my life from a young boy to current. The boats are great..stable and easy to control. I do not use any special aid's to control the boat as she is proportioned just right. It is constructed of fiberglass.

Next time we have a tourney..I will let you take one out (give me a heads up as a reminder) as I have 2 of them.. my son uses the 2nd one and he is ten yrs old... loves it and so will you.

Heck you can stand up in it while you pee and row...get pee row?? lol Laughing Laughing

PJ

Last edited by pirougejoe on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 am; edited 3 times in total

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 am

Just another opinion.

I have an anchor but I don't use it very often. In windy conditions I usually just paddle to an area where I can be protected from the wind.

I like the idea but in practice I find it adds more work than value.

I'm constantly moving to cast towards different kinds of cover and I don't like having to pull it up every couple of minutes.

That being said, the times when I need to stay in one place and it's very windy it's been a life saver. So I usually have it in the boat.

I like the idea of the drift socks but my money is being spent on other fishing related purchases lately Smile

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:40 am

I use a drift sock with my cartopper. I paid 30 bucks on cabelas.com It works great

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 am

Yeah using the anchor trolley with a stakeout pole or a anchor is a must have tool. As far as your concern about having to sit and fish is not a problem with certain types of kayaks. I personally have the Hobie Pro Angler and I stand and fish from it often. It also has the Mirage drive system wich propells you by peddeling instead of paddling to allow your hands to be free while positioning your kayak. Bottom line is, all of them have pros and cons and with so many to choose from, its more about whats important to you.
Here is a quick link showing the one that I have. Good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G4DLhK3CQs

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:45 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links