Would like to know how is every one taking there kayaks out on the water in March?
Like do wear waders,rubber boots or just bear the cold water getting in and out of the water?

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:16 am

Glad you asked this because I was thinking the same thing. There has been a couple of nice days already this year, and I would love to get out on the kayak as soon as I can, but the water is still cold as hell. Looking forward to what people have to say, I've only fished in the hot months when I don't mind getting wet while fishing.

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:56 am

ive been kayak fishin all year! i was out catching bass in january in my yak.

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:02 am

bassturds

That is die hard!

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:07 am

bassturds

Nice, But what did you wear to get in an out of the water ? Waders, Hip Boots,rubber boots or did you just get your feet wet?

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:10 am

i had my life jacket on! didnt need to get wet to get into my yak! if i do its steppin in an inch or 2 of water with my workboots

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:34 am

Rubber boots until the water warms up!

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:25 pm

Neoprene paddle boots. I got them last year. They work well for getting in and out in cold water.

https://www.campmor.com/c/nrs-men--39;s-paddle-wetshoe---men--39;s-79316gry11m?gclid=CISJ-6OutMsCFdgDgQodcuMAhg

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:42 pm

was thinking of some cheap hip boots just to use in spring and fall or when the water gets warm

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:14 pm

was thinking of some cheap hip boots just to use in spring and fall or when the water gets warm

Posted Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:15 pm

I picked up a cheap pair of rubber boots last year at walmart, work fine

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am

bassturds

X2 - my hunting boots are waterproof and tall enough I don't get wet when launching.

Just dress in layers, and keep a change of clothes in your vehicle just in case you get wet...

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:59 am

I would also suggest to find some spots where you don't have to even have to walk in the water to launch. I know of a few where I can pretty much set my kayak so it is halfway in the water and then just push myself into the water with my paddle. That is my plan when I get out there in these cooler days, try and stay dry at launch shouldn't be too difficult.

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:01 am

Just remember, the most important piece of equipment this time of year is your PFD! Idea

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:06 pm

When canoeing or kayaking...I recommend wear thin water shoes (slip ons) in warmer water and tennis shoe/wool socks with heat pads in colder water.

Don't ever wear hip boots, low calf waders, rubber boots or even work boots...if you go over, you will have a challenging time. I went over in a canoe years ago with "rubber boots" on...they filled quickly....was real tough to stay up and chase canoe--AND that was with an older life vest on. It can turn ugly real quick.

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:47 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links