I get most of it I catch a fish that is bigger than the chart sizes depending on the species.

Then I go into a weigh in station to get it weighed but does it have to be alive when I have it weighed?

And is the person that weighed it in my "Witness" on the affidavit?

I'd assume I also get the scale certification seal date from who ever weighs it in.

Can't wait to start entering fish.

Posted Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Technically speaking, no it does not have to be alive.

Yes, the person who is considered a weigh station has a cert. scale and would fill out the paper work accordingly..they would also act as the witness.

You also need to submit an accurate picture or two along with the fish, as well as measurements.

To be fair, if you wish to be a catch and release angler, while still getting pins, you can get the town you live in to cert. your scale. Call your town hall to find out who does it and/or set up an appointment. They do a test to make sure it is accurate and then apply a sticker valid for one year. Costs like 50 dollars.

You can then download/print the papers and fill them out yourself if you fish with a buddy they will act as your witness on the banks and you can then release the fish immediately after photoing it, weighing it and measuring it.

I've done this for the derbies I hosted as well as friends before in the past. This is a far better option in my mind for the welfare of the fish, especially if you do not drive or have a livewell etc.

Last edited by blackstonecarp on Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Thats great to know!

I am all about catch and release and I would hate to take a fish out of the cycle. I do in fact have a Live well built into the bed of my truck but I think I may get my scale certified to save a a trip to a certified scale and to prevent any stress from being put on the fish.

Thanks so much for answering my questions.

Posted Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 pm

You're welcome. On a side note, when you mail the papers in it can take them awhile but you will get the pin in the mail. Sometimes it may take over a month or two though lol...you know state workers and all

Posted Thu May 23, 2013 9:47 pm

blackstonecarp

Technically speaking, no it does not have to be alive.

Yes, the person who is considered a weigh station has a cert. scale and would fill out the paper work accordingly..they would also act as the witness.

You also need to submit an accurate picture or two along with the fish, as well as measurements.

To be fair, if you wish to be a catch and release angler, while still getting pins, you can get the town you live in to cert. your scale. Call your town hall to find out who does it and/or set up an appointment. They do a test to make sure it is accurate and then apply a sticker valid for one year. Costs like 50 dollars.

You can then download/print the papers and fill them out yourself if you fish with a buddy they will act as your witness on the banks and you can then release the fish immediately after photoing it, weighing it and measuring it.

I've done this for the derbies I hosted as well as friends before in the past. This is a far better option in my mind for the welfare of the fish, especially if you do not drive or have a livewell etc.

this is great to know! thanks! i had all but forgotten about pin fishing because id much rather watch my fish swim away than kill it to get a stupid pin but i think it is well worth the 50 bones to be able to verify my own fish and still get a pin after my fish has already been released. awsome Smile

Posted Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Yeah, I need to re-up mine again.

I mention calling the town hall, because depending on Town size and/or budget etc some towns share a guy who does the Weights and measures stuff. I ended up having to meet the guy that used to do it for Webster ( when I lived there ) at a gas station in Uxbridge one morning as he was there to check their pumps.

He used my scale to weigh some weights he had and then gave me a sticker. I then got the bill in the mail like a week or so later.

Posted Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 pm

I thought it was illegal to transport live gamefish in Mass?

So fish need to be either weighed and let go, or killed and brought to a weighing station? I know people bring fish to be weighed and then release them, but I don't think your suppose to do that?

Never saw the allure of getting a pin, maybe if it was a kickass trophy or something I would care more.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 9:11 am

You are right that it's illegal to transport live fish so if you're getting it certified and releasing it you're breaking the law. Go figure. I agree with you on the pin. I never got that itch. I love my pics.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 9:18 am

I agree, and it is why I don't have a single one myself lol

well worth the small fee though if you fish with other folks and such. As many people do like it, and with big carp in my examples it is hard for people not to wanna take em for a pin when they land their first one.

I'd much rather do it on the banks for people who do want em.

I also think we need to update our record system to make it catch and release like other states CT for instance you don't need to kill the fish to claim the record.

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 9:41 am

I had sent an email to masswildlife before anyone answered and they responded with this.

"Daniel, thanks for taking the time to learn about our Freshwater Sportfishing Award Program. Let me answer your questions: 1) Currently, we only have a weighed component for the program which requires that the fish be dead when you transport it to the spot to be weighed (any location with a certified scale). We hope to have a catch and release component in place by the 2014 calendar year which will allow you to get a length at the point of capture and release the fish."

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 12:41 pm

dannyboy1802

I had sent an email to masswildlife before anyone answered and they responded with this.

"Daniel, thanks for taking the time to learn about our Freshwater Sportfishing Award Program. Let me answer your questions: 1) Currently, we only have a weighed component for the program which requires that the fish be dead when you transport it to the spot to be weighed (any location with a certified scale). We hope to have a catch and release component in place by the 2014 calendar year which will allow you to get a length at the point of capture and release the fish."

ive sent quite a few similar emails but have never gotten a reply. you should feel privilidged lol i dont trust the s*** bags that run this state because they cant even come and clean up a pile of needles i found scatterd on a public beach until i called 6 or 7 times and finally threatened to call the mayor of worcester and then the governor. i have absolutely no faith in the majority of elected officials we have in this state

Posted Fri May 24, 2013 3:51 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links