i just read an article on line about largemout bass fishing in the winter.
a field biologist tagged numerous 3 and 4 pound largemouths in the lake of the woods for several years. even when the lake was covered with ice. they found that bass didnt go deep. they stayed reletivly shallow. they found them in 2 to 3 feet of water under the ice.
the mystery of bass behaviour continues.
in about 4 hours ill be on the water with a bucket of shiners. very excited to hit the water

Posted Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:47 am

It depends on how deep the lake is. If there is deep water available to a bass they will use it because thats what the bait will use. In winter, water near the bottom in deeper water is actually a couple/ few degrees warmer then water that is shallow and near the surface. The weight/ pressure of all the water above itself does not allow the water to drop much below 34-35* whereas in the shallows and near the surface water approaches 32* and falls below it as ice forms.
Right now you can catch smallies in 60-70'..... thats right FEET of water on the cape. Having said that there will always be a few fish shallow because they will move up and feed in weedy areas that the bait has moved into to feed as well.

Its been said a bunch of times here correctly, find a shallow bog pond with a max depth of 5-7'. Bass can't go deep because it doesn't exists. With time on the water you will find the areas the bass winter in, and when you do its like taking candy from a baby....... Reaction baits like traps, cranks, spinnerbaits and jerkbaits. The great thing is that once you find them in winter, they don't go very far from day to day , week to week AND they use those areas year after year.

Posted Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 am

While ice fishing I've crushed some big bass in 6-8 feet of water numerous times

Posted Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:56 am

Was catching bass in 6" of water today. Tried taking a pic of a small school sitting right on the bank but I spooked them.

Posted Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:55 pm

I've caught a 3.5lbser two yearss ago in 4 feet of water through the ice.
But today I caught 1 in 20 feet of water.

Posted Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Where the bass will be anytime of year definately has to do with where the bait fish are. The depth is important but it's all relative to the total depth and average depth of the pond/lake as well as where the structure and weed beds are. I don't fish many lakes deeper than 25 feet except for when I go to NH. When I go ice fishing I check out maps of the lake and look for weed lines and underwater stump areas- this is usually where you find quantity and quality. Like Rich said, when you find them this time of year you can usually bank on that spot for a period of time. The reason I love fishing is because you sometimes find your best fish of the day in the place you'd least expect it...that's why it's fishing!!!

Posted Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Today I got my 1st one in 20 feet of water on a shiner.
The last hour the bite turned on . They were along the drop off.

Posted Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:32 pm

I think you need to remember one thing here for the most part only the first 6-8 feet of water in most cases is determined by the air temperature, once you get deeper than that the water temp is determined by the ground temp which in New England is somewhere around a constant 50 degrees below the frost line so deeper water essentially will be warmer, I dont know if that helps, like rich said I caught my deepest smallie this weekend in 62 feet, I was in 90 feet and the graph was still lighting up Im sure they were that deep as well

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:50 am

62 feet of water. Holy crap that's deep.
I love jigging for cod. I want to put those tactics to bass fishing.

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:03 am

bassturds

62 feet of water. Holy crap that's deep.
I love jigging for cod. I want to put those tactics to bass fishing.

1/2 oz tungsten 6 lb test 1/0 hook little different than cod

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:12 am

No 16oz jigs for bass fishing

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Pulling smallies up from 60 ft! Are you bleeding the air bladders Question

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:54 pm

don51

Pulling smallies up from 60 ft! Are you bleeding the air bladders Question

There wasn't any need to they were all brought up slow none of them displayed any affect to pressure change, all we properlly released and swam off in tip top shape

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:52 pm

caught a nice smallie today in 2" of water.... had too punch thru the ice too lip her.

Posted Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:52 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links