Tomorrow morning I am heading out to Chauncy in a canoe with a few friends, and hoping to actually put some fish in the boat and could use a few pointers.

- How deep do you think the fish are at recently? Chauncy only goes to about 20ft.

- I have had a lot of luck on jerkbaits/crankbaits this season so far, but Chauncy is typically infested with milfoil, what can I do as an alternative so that i'm not dredging the place one treble hook at a time?

Bathymetry
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pdf/dfwchau.pdf

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 am

Jig or weedless style plastic up close to shore. Focus on docks, downed trees and overhangs.

With the warmer weather and rising water temps the fish should be up close or in deeper flats close to shallow water.

If you cant find anything up close (but you should be able too) jigs dragged or hopped just a little deeper could do alright.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:13 am

jgt11

Tomorrow morning I am heading out to Chauncy in a canoe with a few friends, and hoping to actually put some fish in the boat and could use a few pointers.

- How deep do you think the fish are at recently? Chauncy only goes to about 20ft.

- I have had a lot of luck on jerkbaits/crankbaits this season so far, but Chauncy is typically infested with milfoil, what can I do as an alternative so that i'm not dredging the place one treble hook at a time?

Bathymetry
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pdf/dfwchau.pdf

The millfoil isn't that bad. I was throwing a jerkbait there a few weeks ago and did well.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks guys. Any general areas of the Lake producing more than others tuna?

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 am

jgt11

Thanks guys. Any general areas of the Lake producing more than others tuna?

The whole lake produces fish. I like from the ramp over to the beach area myself. I missed a couple big fish in that area last year. Always the chance for a nice pike too.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:30 am

Or a Huge Tiger!!!! O Yeah

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:10 pm

I think I would pee myself a bit trying to land a Muskie

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:17 pm

if you are worried about the milfoil, you can never go wrong with throwing a texas rigged worm or senko either

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Caught a limit in an hour there last sat hoping a chatterbait in by the shore.. At noon the bite s*** off and got a few more on jigs in 7-8ft

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Sounds like a great trip, I would love to catch a limit in a half day, let alone 1 hour. I can usually pull a couple out of the water on a half day trip, but so far I cannot put up numbers unless I use a small 3-4" worm, like a roboworm, but then the fish are invariably small as well.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:23 pm

fish the shoreline 4-5ft deep in front of the beach..last weekend there was green weed there.

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 pm

I've done well in a little warmer weather with dark colored Senko's there.Caught a nice 3lb pick my first time out this yr in March with ice still covering most of the lake off a Senko ha ha.Let us know how you do I haven't been out there since March and I plan on hitting it up soon now that the water has warmed.

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:47 pm

All three of us put up goose eggs for bass. I landed a small pickerel near the beach and a yellow perch a little left of the launch, and that was it. Spoke to two other boats and they came up empty as well. Bass must have been sleeping yesterday. We'll be back.

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:53 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links