Looking to go fly fishing around the Boston area tomorrow. Anyone know a river that's flowing open? The Charles is frozen solid. Other options?

Thanks in advance!

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:24 pm

There is open water on the Cambridge side of the Charles near the power plant discharge. You can probably get on the dock further down from the discharge and do some fly fishing. If you put in the time there are fish there to be had. I'm hoping the Boston side of the River breaks up by Sunday morning. I'm sure I am not the only one thinking about that, this is the best time of the year to fish the lower end.

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:10 pm

jerkbaits right? i know a guy that fishes the basins around this time and early spring and that's his go to.

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:28 pm

samf

jerkbaits right? i know a guy that fishes the basins around this time and early spring and that's his go to.

Jerkbaits, drop shots, jigs, and blade baits. Everyday it changes on what they want, but its usually one of those. I dabble with the bigger baits from time to time looking for the hold over stripers.

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:36 pm

The only river to fly fish this time of the year is the swift!!! And yes you can catch big trout

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:45 pm

im going to a local stream tomorrow for brookies

then holdover stripers on sunday

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 pm

i used to fish the charles from the bank and i lost so much tackle i'd be scared to throw blades or a drop shot

Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:16 am

samf

i used to fish the charles from the bank and i lost so much tackle i'd be scared to throw blades or a drop shot

Yep. I usually set a limit on how much stuff I want to lose in a day.

Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:46 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links