A lot of good points here, this is just my opinion, first I own a Quantum Smoke 7.1:1 nice reel but not for frog fishing it has a 14lb drag, I fish a Revo with 24lbs of drag with the drag completely locked down , second I don't set the hook till I feel the fish (the 1/1000 2/1000 method works too) but I prefer to feel the fish , third when you set that hook set it as hard as you can and then reel your ass off, you have to break the fishes will once you do that they surrender.

I have caught a ton of 5 and 6lbers in the slop as well as a few 7's once you get that head coming in my experience most of em body surf right to the boat its that second they ball up in the mats that you need to keep the tension on em and go in after them

The new ABU GARCIA REVO STX is available in 8.0:1 with I believe an 20 lb drag may be enough line retrieve per handle turn to offset the fact you are low to the water, hope this helps

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Excellent point neil, that has been my experiance growing up on the charles in waltham, over the years have lost many until i just started bullying them up. the shock and awe, lol

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:53 pm

sinista

The new ABU GARCIA REVO STX is available in 8.0:1 with I believe an 20 lb drag may be enough line retrieve per handle turn to offset the fact you are low to the water, hope this helps

Good info Sinista. I just purchased the old STX since it was on clearance. I got the 7:1:1 hoping that it would help with getting them back to the kayak.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Ive seen sinista go for the knock out punch on the hook set haha it is intense

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:06 pm

I wish I was good with frogs. =( Never caught a bass on a frog ever. Jitterbug yes, frog no...

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Sinista, great tip, although I'm now distraught that my beloved brand new Quantum Smoke isn't really up to the task, but it will have to do until I can find the scratch to pony up for a Revo (love all things Abu, even the lowly SilverMax).

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:14 pm

My Shiamno Citica only has 11. In a kayak or in my case a canoe you can feel it being pulled out, when trying to keep the pressure on it, not much we can do but keep it tight and get right over the top of the fish.

It certainly does help as Sinistra said to get the head up as quick as possible to get them through, if they dive have fun digging.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 pm

The problem with reel drags is some companies boast an inaccurate rating. Especially abu. I forget where but if you google it. theres a site that shows the actual max drag of almost every brand/model/size reel you can think of. Even if you reel has a low rating you can still lock it down. Frogging you dont want it to budge. Punching I prefer a little drag on the set cause the bait is much closer.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:30 pm

jwo1124

Kind of a side question, How do you like the Veritas set up? I am looking into getting another bass fishing set up or two for next season. And I was looking into Abu since I have always liked their products. After reading some reviews on BPS, it seems like Abu rods: Veritas and Verdict break like crazy. I understand a bad review here and there, but everyone was commenting on how easy the rods shatter, even commenting on how they have read numerous reviews on the subject.

This turned me away from them, and more towards St. Croix, but I cant really afford numerous rods at a $150 price tag. I was thinking more around $80-90 a rod. I have a $60 Abu baitcast combo I got at walmart and the things caught me a lot of fish this season, rod and reel have both performed flawlessly up until last week when the insert from the line wind on the reel popped out. But its gonna be a quick fix with Krazy Glue.

I got my Veritas, new on Ebay for $79.99, shipped from Alabama in 3 days. So far it's been really good, caught a nice bluefish on it, but I too read those reviews and was scared off from buying another. Instead I just purchased two TeamDaiwa T Rods (MH and H). They were $75 at BassPro and I just loved the balance on them. Took the MH out this past weekend and used it for most of the day (I always bring 4 rods), caught a few bass and many large picks. So happy with the rod that I just returned from BassPro this evening with the H.

The St. Croix Bass Mojo rods are really nice too but I haven't seen them anywhere for less than $99.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:35 pm

berkleegrad

jwo1124

Kind of a side question, How do you like the Veritas set up? I am looking into getting another bass fishing set up or two for next season. And I was looking into Abu since I have always liked their products. After reading some reviews on BPS, it seems like Abu rods: Veritas and Verdict break like crazy. I understand a bad review here and there, but everyone was commenting on how easy the rods shatter, even commenting on how they have read numerous reviews on the subject.

This turned me away from them, and more towards St. Croix, but I cant really afford numerous rods at a $150 price tag. I was thinking more around $80-90 a rod. I have a $60 Abu baitcast combo I got at walmart and the things caught me a lot of fish this season, rod and reel have both performed flawlessly up until last week when the insert from the line wind on the reel popped out. But its gonna be a quick fix with Krazy Glue.

I got my Veritas, new on Ebay for $79.99, shipped from Alabama in 3 days. So far it's been really good, caught a nice bluefish on it, but I too read those reviews and was scared off from buying another. Instead I just purchased two TeamDaiwa T Rods (MH and H). They were $75 at BassPro and I just loved the balance on them. Took the MH out this past weekend and used it for most of the day (I always bring 4 rods), caught a few bass and many large picks. So happy with the rod that I just returned from BassPro this evening with the H.

The St. Croix Bass Mojo rods are really nice too but I haven't seen them anywhere for less than $99.

Shimano Crucials are great deal at 179.00$ lifetime warranty replace any damaged rod with you only paying the shipping

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:04 pm

i agree with neil pretty much.

also, i think the revo STX drag is pretty accurate. i read about tests somewhere but i think they checked out. less accuracy comes with lower end reels i've found. i don't know about their lower end reels but i wouldn't trust anyone to be honest.

i do know this. i have several revo STX and the drag is very good. they are workhorse reels for froggin, flipping, pitching, punching. i have a few that are 3 years old and have taken a beating. they work like they're brand new.

when you get off the water, make sure to loosen the drag, and also back off on the magnetics. it will help keep your reels in good condition much longer.

my advice for those looking for the rods - do not overlook the warranty! like neil said, a no questions asked lifetime warranty is worth the extra money. crucial are good but i don't like the reel seat or their weights overall. check out the "lesser known" brands like dobyns. don't overlook balance either for these techniques. a heavier rod will actually feel lighter than one that's lighter if it's balanced better.

all of these seemingly random and small factors really make one rod different than another. it's not just about how sensitive one is compared to another. you don't need sensitivity when frog fishing either. get a long broomstick for the heaviest stuff.

my 5 cents. over and out.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:33 pm

samf

i agree with neil pretty much.

also, i think the revo STX drag is pretty accurate. i read about tests somewhere but i think they checked out. less accuracy comes with lower end reels i've found. i don't know about their lower end reels but i wouldn't trust anyone to be honest.

i do know this. i have several revo STX and the drag is very good. they are workhorse reels for froggin, flipping, pitching, punching. i have a few that are 3 years old and have taken a beating. they work like they're brand new.

when you get off the water, make sure to loosen the drag, and also back off on the magnetics. it will help keep your reels in good condition much longer.

my advice for those looking for the rods - do not overlook the warranty! like neil said, a no questions asked lifetime warranty is worth the extra money. crucial are good but i don't like the reel seat or their weights overall. check out the "lesser known" brands like dobyns. don't overlook balance either for these techniques. a heavier rod will actually feel lighter than one that's lighter if it's balanced better.

all of these seemingly random and small factors really make one rod different than another. it's not just about how sensitive one is compared to another. you don't need sensitivity when frog fishing either. get a long broomstick for the heaviest stuff.

my 5 cents. over and out.

That's not 5 cents that's a million dollars perfectly put Sam!

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 pm

no offense neil i know you're a crucial guy! i had a few and did like them, but i don't like the new reel seats.

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 pm

samf

no offense neil i know you're a crucial guy! i had a few and did like them, but i don't like the new reel seats.

No offense taken Sam

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:33 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links