How's great south pond and little south. Been thinking of hitting these ponds for smallys. Is it worth it?

Any other smallmouth ponds with a good population in Plymouth cape area?

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Hear good things about GS but I have never had any luck there. I fish out of a yak and it is too much water for me Exclamation I prefer LS, have got a few SM up to 2lb. It fishes kind of funny and can really be hit or miss Exclamation

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 pm

I found a depth map for little and great south. With the type of weeds and water quality.
I've heard nothing but good things at these ponds. I'm heading out sunda to little south with a couple dozen wild shiners I've caught.

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:22 pm

LS is 20 ft. deep max. No weeds and very little bottom structure, a couple of drops here and there. Bottom is flat with some gravel for the most part. GS I believe has a max depth of around 60 ft with plently of structure, a totally different animal Exclamation Clear water in both ponds.

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:32 am

So how is little south then if there's no or very little structure? Orr should I find away to get into great south. I'm not fishing In a boat.
I'm bringing chairs, a of shiners and a cooler
Any good shore fishing spots?

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:50 am

Laughing Yeah, the water is down so low you can walk around the entire pond Exclamation Shiners are a tough way to locate fish. Could be a long day watching a float Exclamation

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:40 pm

THe shore line of Great South Drops off rather quick if you have any kind of distance to your cast you would be better live lining them with a slip sinker to keep em down the bottom, the smallies in there spook easy and to be honest really dont like coming up to the top to consistently eat, deeper in the water colum is your best bet

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Cool thanks guys. Who knows I could get lucky and find a school quickly. Thank god ill have a cooler full of beers. So I'm prepared for a slow day.
My plan is. If we don't get fish at little south. We'll head to a new pond.

Any other good smally ponds around there. With shore fishing?

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Little south or bloody pond?
My buddy isn't a die hard crazy fishermen like me so if the pond is slow he'll get bored.

Posted Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:14 pm

your best bet from the shore and if you're with a guy that gets bored is bloody. a pain to get to if you're not fishing from shore but you'll catch smallies..

Posted Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:57 am

I'm not fishing smallies on Sunday. Going big largemouth hunting. Tossing large shiners.

Posted Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:07 am

You better go smallie fishing Exclamation After having us give you tips and info you better get down there to Little South Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:28 am

The problem with my buddy he'll start throwing rocks in the water and want to leave. So we got to fish at a pond with guarantee fish.
I will hit both little and great in my kayak

Posted Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:00 am

Sounds like you need to leave him home Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:13 pm

It's a little to late. Haven't out with him in awhile.
There so many ponds to fish not enough time. Ahhhhhhh

Posted Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:07 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links