I've been using real frogs for bass fishing lately and i have been slaying them, catching 2-4 lbs easily but one i put on a fake one and using the same motion in the same area and i havent been getting anythingnot even bites. Do you guys have any tips that could help?

Thanks

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Your question is like "i slay deer when i use my rocket launcher, but when i go out with my bow and arrow i don't get nearly as many, how come?".

with that said, i like the zoom horny toads, and the live target frogs. i have had great luck with both of them. Throw different colors and vary your presentation until you find what works. I use 65 lb braid and throw the frog into the thickest, nastiest sections of pads and weeds.

An artificial frog will never match the production of a live one, period.

Anyone could hunt with an AK-47.....but people choose to hunt with bows because it offers a different challenge.

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:36 am

You need to use the artificial frogs differently. You want to cast them into the thickest, nastiest cover you can find and slowly work them back through it. I don't think you are doing that with live frogs so you are fishing 2 entirely different ways. If you throw the artificial frog in the same places you are throwing the live ones you will not get the same results, nor should you expect to.

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:12 am

im a rookie to frog fishing to but like they said work it slow very your pops do once then pause right up to pop three times let it sit, i found if u pause if for 3-5 seconds then move they usally stike once u move off a pause.

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:03 am

Popping it once or three times works with a pause like mentioned and is pretty effective most of the time. Popping it back without pausing can get strikes too. Sometimes retrieving the frog back slowly without popping will do the trick when in pads. Also try popping the frog with your rod low and then high. They give different presentations and sometime one will work better than the other. Good luck.

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 am

You guys are completely right. When i fish with real frogs im throwing them into lighter lillies and on the edge of them and the same with artificial ones.
Hopefully with you guys' tips i can catch that lunker thats been lurkin under the lillies that ive been seeing.
Thanks again guys!

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 am

how do you attach real frogs ? and where do you get them ?
Shocked Very Happy

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Me and my friends know this little swamp of the backside of some bass pond so will go in there put down a couple shiner traps and go around trying to catch frogs. We use pretty much everything our hand, nets, pool skimmers. It's usually a good time and afterwards we slay the bass

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:09 pm

My favorite brand to throw is Snag Proof- they are durable but at the same time extremely easy for the bass to grab and hook up on. The hook set ratio has been the best for me. My second choice are the live target frogs....very similar ability and even better to skip to targets.

Most of my big frog bass have come after I hop it through thick cover, once it hits open water...bam, lunkie on! The key is to maximize the strike to hook up ratio and I've found that it's crucial to wait one second after the attack before I set the hook straight up. I crank the fish in usually as I'm in heavy cover and want to keep the fish from getting tangled in the weeds. The frogs are deadly in thick cover but I've also caught and had monster strikes in open water of 3-6 feet with weeds on the bottom. I agree that a typical retrieve is hop, hop, hop and then pause for 3 seconds....many bass will lay into after a pause. I've also found skipping the frog (similar to a worm) will trigger more reaction stikes.

The key is waiting that one second after a strike and making sure you really set that SOB! I use 20lb-30lb braid on a couple medium heavy 6' 6'' spinning rods when using the frog....which is 50-75% of my trips, especially when the terrain looks good,

Good Luck!

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:33 pm

I've used live frogs before...when i did, I'd hook them in the leg in-between the two muscles in the thigh.

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:36 pm

I love to throw the SPRO frogs, Booyah Pad Crasher, and the Zoom horny toad on a Ribbit double take hook. You can throw these things into some nasty crap and almost never get snagged. A series of 2-4 twitches at any speed you want (whatever is working that day) as long as you let it pause. The other key with you are fishing pads, grass, or other thick crap is to make sure you get a pause in open pockets. People starting out with frogs tend to get very frustrated as they throw it into thick crap and watch bass explode on it like there are depth charges going off but get very few hook ups. Bass will throw themselves violently at frogs and that means that you will miss one here or there. Luckily they are not hesitant to hit it a second or third time. However if you pause on edges of open pockets where bass have a direct shot at the bait and dont have to bust trough 6 inches of muck to get it you will find a higher rate of hook ups. When you fish that thick crap really try and let that frog play around those open pockets or holes in the muck.

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:08 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links