I'm 0-2 in trying the float n fly this winter. Both times on the Charles, and when I gave up with the stupid thing I caught fish in the same area with a jerk bait. So, does anyone catch fish with the float n fly? How deep from the bottom are you? I think I may be putting it too deep. What type of bobber do you use? Do you twitch it along or let it sit? In the river I also tried letting the current take it, but with no luck.

Judging by the 10 day ice fisherman forecast I figure I'm still good for a while on the Charles. But looks like Sunday will be my last casts of 2012, and it looks cold.

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:03 pm

I've been doing a lot of Youtubing and Googling on float and fly this past week and just purchased a few items to try it out. Seems you want to keep the fly 1-2 feet off the bottom so you'll need a sinking fly or 1/32 hair jig. Everyone has a preferred float type but they are all different. I gather that elongated floats may be easier to see and you want to be able to move it so that you can easily adjust the depth of your fly as you work different water depths. The general idea is that the fly sinks and pulls the float vertical when it's drifting free. If there are waves you don't need to do anything as the fly will move on its own. If the water is calm you need to periodically lightly shake the float to impart some movement to the fly. Any change in the float, it goes under or tips over, is an indication that a fish has taken the fly (or your fly has hit bottom) and you must set the hook immediately. Very light line is used, typically 4-6 lb. Also the hardcore float and flyers use long rods, even fly rods, as you can imagine how hard it must be to cast a bobber with 12 feet of line hanging off of it.

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Never tried it, but I guess you can also use a slip float where the line slides through the float and you adjust the depth by how much line you let out. One of those techniques I have always wanted to try but have never been able to get around to it Exclamation Laughing

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:43 pm

You can use a slip bobber so long as you use a bobber stopper.

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:53 pm

I need to get some slip bobbers, TW is best place to shop for bobbers.

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:11 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links