Thinking about trying this pond out this week. Any suggestions that would make a successful outing?

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:38 pm

I was there early in the spring and it was really low but I think they might intentionally draw it down in the winter so it's probably filled back up by now. There were signs in the parking lot that you need a pass or a permit to park. Nobody bothered me but it was like April and mine was the only car there. It looks like it gets really padded over judging from the amount of growth I saw. The only fish I caught that day was a pickerel. I never went back because of the signs in the parking area.

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:52 pm

living in chelmsford i fish there often in the early spring. I've never been bothered for parking there. i think it might be too weeded up right now to fish very well especially from shore. lots of bluegilll crappie and perch in there though if you like to catch those

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:26 pm

i live next to it, summer time the weeds are everywhere, almost not worth the time to put your boat in there especially if there are other people there. there are plenty of good ponds and lakes in the area. it can be a real tough pond to figure out for newcomers as well. place used to be a goldmine 10 years ago. when i was a kid my dad used to pull huge tiger musky out of there but they are all gone now.

Posted Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:51 pm

I live on this pond. It's extremely weedy. My favorite lure is a "weed walker", but just about anything that's top water is good. Plastic worms would be good also.

<--- I caught a 4 pounder a few weeks ago (that's the picture), but the biggest bass I caught here was 7lbs 2oz. back in 1989 , got a state pin for that one.

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:03 am

Has anyone been to the pond off route 3 in Tyngsboro across from locust pond? It's behind the Chelmsford business park and you can see it going north or south rt.3. If its not private property, I'm hoping to get a kayak in there and see if there's any lunkers.

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:49 pm

markc

I live on this pond. It's extremely weedy. My favorite lure is a "weed walker", but just about anything that's top water is good. Plastic worms would be good also.

<--- I caught a 4 pounder a few weeks ago (that's the picture), but the biggest bass I caught here was 7lbs 2oz. back in 1989 , got a state pin for that one.

I use to live up in Chelmsford and I remember outdoor writers, from the Lowell Sun, wrote that Flint was where there would be a lunker caught. Of course, that was back in the 80's. Your 7-2 back in 89 probably backs up their contention. Have fished it a couple of times way back when, but no real lunkers to speak of.

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:49 am

orby387

Has anyone been to the pond off route 3 in Tyngsboro across from locust pond? It's behind the Chelmsford business park and you can see it going north or south rt.3. If its not private property, I'm hoping to get a kayak in there and see if there's any lunkers.

Wow, all this talk of the Merrimac Valley brings on a wave of nostalgia. Use to live & fish up there. Favorite ponds were Forge & Knops/Lost Lake & favorite rivers (I really miss this seeing as there are none on the Cape) are the Nashua, the Merrimac, & the Concord. Great memories . . .

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:53 am

wacoachk

orby387

Wow, all this talk of the Merrimac Valley brings on a wave of nostalgia. Use to live & fish up there. Favorite ponds were Forge & Knops/Lost Lake & favorite rivers (I really miss this seeing as there are none on the Cape) are the Nashua, the Merrimac, & the Concord. Great memories . . .

The nashua river has real good bass. I might try the concord river this spring, is there pike there?

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Huge like in there guy. My biggest was 14 lbs . You'll have real good luck not far from the launch

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:15 pm

budwick

Huge like in there guy. My biggest was 14 lbs . You'll have real good luck not far from the launch

14 lbs!!! Great pike . . . My largest was 9+lbs.
The best I've seen or where most of my friends have done best is toward the Billerica side of the river.

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:37 pm

That's usually where the bite is most consistent for pike is Billericas end. Trolling for them up and down stream on that stretch is great .

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:02 pm

budwick

That's usually where the bite is most consistent for pike is Billericas end. Trolling for them up and down stream on that stretch is great .

Would casting a mepps #5 tandem aglia be a waste of time? I'm a big fan of mepps. The smaller ones always catch me decent bass and chain pickerel and the always plentiful yellow perch.

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:32 pm

orby387

budwick

Would casting a mepps #5 tandem aglia be a waste of time? I'm a big fan of mepps. The smaller ones always catch me decent bass and chain pickerel and the always plentiful yellow perch.

I wouldn't think it would hurt. I caught mine on Buzzbaits/Spinnerbaits - big ones.

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:36 pm

orby387

budwick

I wouldn't think it would hurt. I caught mine on Buzzbaits/Spinnerbaits - big ones.

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:37 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links