Hey guys ! Have not really been an active member of MA Fish finder, infact a few years ago i thought MAFishFinder was much less active than it seems to be now? Maybe I was wrong?

Anywho I was a frequent member of MAanglers.com forum's but most of them live out west and use conn. and western mass locations mostly and hard to get advice about greater boston area.

So, I currently live in Saugus,MA ( North Shore ) about 10-15 mins north of boston. The bodies of water around here have been horrible fishing as of the last 4-5 years. The one decent spot we had (Golden Hills) was ruined by water treatment and plants and structure gone and dead bass on shore Mad

I do not have a boat sadly, since I usually fish alone it seems to much of a hassle to get a cartopper/trailer motor etc and getting out by yourself.

I have tried Spot Pond in stoneham and quater mile and a few other small ponds in Melrose/Lynn/Close to here. And fishing is ROUGH I can go for 4-5 hours multiple trips without even a bite. The waters around here are pretty tough.

Spot pond is strange from shore and seems only viable in early season when bass are remotely even close to the shore.

So if anyone know's of any area's around that has some pretty good bass fishing ( Size isnt to much of an issue i just enjoy catching fish , ofcourse beating my record would be nice but at this point i will settle for anything ) I would appreciate any help.

I dont expect people to give me their secret's or their personal spots to their favorite holes. But just a name/location of a body of water and i would be extremely grateful.

- Thanks alot guys!
-Kevin

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 3:50 pm

I miss the good old Golden hills days

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Tell me about it... years ago that place was incredible, fishing the vegitation from the side of the pond where the guard rail is.....

I caught my biggest bass ever caught from MA waters in golden hills in 2007, i actually have a picture of it somewhere.

7 1/2 lb , it was night and i was using a small x-rap jerkbait and thought i got stuck on the weed's and after about 10 seconds of the fish just sitting still it took off, I will find the pic's for you.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 4:14 pm

3rd pond up golden hills had some huge fish !

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Putnamville Res. in Danvers has great shoreline access with quality fish.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 6:09 pm

I fished Putnam once before I believe, its the one with the wall surrounding some of it ?

It seemed rocky and very open with little to no structure from shore and I didnt even get a bite.

Do you have any suggestions for that place ? My expierence over many years of bass fishing all has to do with Structure / Pond type water, when it comes to large bodies of water with clear / rocky base I seem to lack confidence fishing it.

It seem's like it would hold some real nice smallies, but any suggestions on how to fish this water to get some large mouth's would be much appreciated.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Kman / Nofx no suggestions on bodies of water? IF you are familiar with golden hill's than i imagine your from the area and fish the area ?

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 6:41 pm

If you had a boat I could offer you some places. Spot pond does hold huge fish, but as you know it can be tough. I like that place best on a hot day, upper 90's and the fish creep in close. You could try Wrights pond, you can pretty much walk around the whole thing. Quarter Mile does hold some decent bass as well, dont let anyone tell you different.

You could try upper Mystics by the dam, we put up close to a 20 lb bag this past Saturday.

You might also want to hit Horn pond.

Last edited by kman on Mon May 14, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 6:54 pm

The Upper Mystic's you spoke about, where is this ? Do you have a street name i could punch into the GPS ? Not quite sure what location that is.

Also the Res you are talking about ( the Fell's ) Are you talking about the res that is on Walnut St that leads to lynn ? And what/where is the 1 res that you suggest to fish so you wont get caught. Any idea what the fine is ?

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 7:13 pm

The Mystic lakes are located in Medford, Arlington and Winchester. Go to google maps and enter this. 42.434575,-71.149306

Just use the maps to find every body of water, in the range you are willing to travel.
If you want info on a particular place, just ask.

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 7:21 pm

keep trying spot pond. big fish in there. try parking at skating rink and hiking in that way. takes about 15 to get to the water.

i stay away from the ponds on the other side of rt 93. winchester res is great but its illegal to fish and you might run into some guys who should be in provincetown

have you tried sluice in lynn? might not be any shore access there though.
i've heard good things about breakheart but havent tried it
yet

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Breakheart is strange, I use to fish there when i was younger but last time i went was about 2-3 years ago and its the same as ever. there is a beach area where people swim etc and a lifeguard and the only spots to fish are rocky / ledge area's the water is VERY clear and rock on the bottom you can basically see 10ft down and I never saw ANY fish and i tried multiple times there. Someone said something about the First pond in breakheart ? But im not sure ewhat they mean beside the Main lake the only other body of water I have seen is that puddle filled with vegitation and only seems to be pickrel in there.

Any tips on fishing spot ??? You jigging ? (always found jigging from shore useless or maybe I just suck at it)

Posted Mon May 14, 2012 8:40 pm

bassmasterkev

I fished Putnam once before I believe, its the one with the wall surrounding some of it ?

It seemed rocky and very open with little to no structure from shore and I didnt even get a bite.

Do you have any suggestions for that place ? My expierence over many years of bass fishing all has to do with Structure / Pond type water, when it comes to large bodies of water with clear / rocky base I seem to lack confidence fishing it.

It seem's like it would hold some real nice smallies, but any suggestions on how to fish this water to get some large mouth's would be much appreciated.

I always found the bite the best in the evening just before dark in the summer. The Route one side produces well and the wall section with the pump house is good too.
Throw a spinner bait out as far as possible and let it helicopter to the bottom. Then a nice slow retrieve. Topwater lures like poppers and buzz baits work well during hot summer evenings. Working jigs along the rip rap out from the walls produce nice fish but be prepared to lose a bunch of jigs in the rocks.

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks for the tips , I tries.the duo off small ponds on the way to horn pond the ones with a little pond on each side of the road, a baby brush hog worked well here caught about 5 fish nothing to big ill post a pic of largest.

Posted Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links