I am a student at umass lowell and im looking for some good fishing holes in the dracut, lowell or Merrimac River area. Any input is appreciated. Go Fish

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:54 pm

i never fished around lowell area but you can fish @ all along route 110. i know you prob already knew that hehe but stripers are running down @ lawrence dam. if your new to area lawrence dam is @rt28

Posted Tue May 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Hey PH23249,

I am also a student at Umass Lowell. You commute or live on campus? (Do you have car access and/or a boat?) If so I can recommend some good places a short car ride from Lowell. I don't have a boat so my recommendations are mostly shore related.

There's lots of great fishing in the area. There's the Merrimack River which you already mentioned, Its got Smallmouth, Salmon, Carp, Walleye, and on and on...

There's also the Concord River, which empties into the Merrimack. I have pulled many a bass and some pike out of there, especially the Billerica portion, which is a pretty short distance from campus. Its easily one of my three favorite places to fish.

There's also Nuttings Pond in Billerica, which is good for bass.

And Mascopic Lake, which is very close to North Campus, but fishing from shore there is very tough, you kind of need a boat to get good access, which I don't have so I hardly ever go there.

Another place is Winnings Pond, which I still gotta give a shot, I think thats in Chelmsford maybe... its right off Rte 3, exit 28 or 29 i think.

And then theres some places in Tygnsboro, which I havent tried yet. I read about them on the MassWildlife website and want to try them out soon too.

Posted Wed May 18, 2011 8:31 pm

I as well am a student at UML. I commute from Medford. There are stripers and some pike in the Mac if you have the right gear.

Posted Wed May 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Anyone ever pull one of the walleyes they got in the Merrimac?

Posted Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 am

i have fished lowell for 9 years now, and have often found some of my best fish have been caught, between the merrimac rapids for smallmouth or below the aiken for small, large bass pike, carp catfish or whatever. The concord river is a gold mine from trout, bass, fall chubs, pike, and shad and even one eastern silvery minnow (endangered). Try a swim bate for early spring,rooster tail for late spring, and plugs and crankbaits for summer, you can legaly access almost all areas of both rivers.

mgl CHAPTER 131INLAND FISHERIES AND GAME AND OTHER NATURAL RESOURCESPrevNextSection 36Fishing, hunting, or trapping on private, posted landPrevNext
Section 36. A person shall not fish, hunt or trap on private land without permission of the owner or tenant thereof, after such owner or tenant has conspicuously posted thereon notices which bear the name of such owner or tenant and which state that fishing, hunting or trapping on such land, as the case may be, is prohibited.

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 am

you fishing from shore or boat?

Posted Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Flint Pond in tyngsborough is great if you have a cartopper or boat. freeman lake in chelmsford has some good spots. and the merrimac of course.

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 am

Freeman Lake in Chelmsford is good for bass, sunfish, and pickerel. Huge fish population because barely anyone fishes there due to a ban on gas powered boats.

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Freeman Lake in Chelmsford is good for bass, sunfish, and pickerel. Huge fish population because barely anyone fishes there due to a ban on gas powered boats.

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:25 pm

I wish there were walleye in the merrimac river! 40 years of fishing and the only place i ever caught walleye with in 1 1/2 hour travel was the Connecticut river. Nothing Like cathing walleyes.

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:05 am

bassmonkey21

Anyone ever pull one of the walleyes they got in the Merrimac?

This past June I was on the Mac below the dam. I put in from off rte 110 Methuen. Made my way up the river and caught my first ever Wallie on a DT 14 perch color. That was pretty cool!

Posted Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 pm

I have lived in lowell for 2 years, I want to know some fishing friends.

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:19 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links