we got out tonight with the new boat and had 2 fish around 9 - 10 lbs between the two. our best outing this year. both on a yum 8 inch pumpkin seed worm at about 10 feet. this was an exceptional night, but we always seem to do well with the plastic worms in the heat of the summer.

Posted Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:45 pm

nice work bro, glad to see your up and running again to

Posted Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:24 am

Nice to see there are some nice Bass still biting. I'm getting very tired of catching dinks.

Posted Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:11 am

A lot of this depends on oxygen levels as well. The warm water makes the fish much more active..that is as long as the warm weather is not causing dissolved axygen to be less..in which case the fish will conserve energy.

The problem with this is many waters are different in this regard. I've found that in a well oxygenated lakes I've had some amazing success on top water with water temps into the 80's. in fact just the other weekend I managed this beaut on a clodhopper variation made to look like a dragonfly instead of a grasshopper.

The reason I had such great success that day is the wind kept the top layer moving and thusly oxygenated, not to mention pushing low flying insects into the water. If it were not windy, going under water may have been a better option in order to find the layer the fish were holding in, as well as what foods they were eating. I managed quite a few fish and I need to get un lazy to post the trip as I have no points on this profile now Sad. A good mix of bass and calicos as well as other various sunfish.Below are a few more bass from the same day. Again notice the wind. While no record breakers they were decent bass and all from the top.

Posted Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:27 pm

nice man i'll give you extra points for fishing in that thing. i'd be scared s**tless to do that in places like the charles. in the past few weeks i've seen monster snappers come right up to the boat. i was at the quabbin reservoir last weekend and 2 HUGE snappers came right up as well. we're talking 30-40 lb. beasts.

Posted Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Haha..funny that you mention that. I was kicking around a fallen tree during this trip. Water was probably 6-10 feet where I was sitting..I heard a hiss from my left and as I turned I saw a large snapper drifting just about 3 feet from me. He was looking at me, cocked his head and hissed again. I flipped to turn my feet toward him just in case. I figured a swift kick from one of my flippers would make him think twice if he came any closer.

Apparently he just wanted to come and see what I was then he took off. Left me looking at the water all paranoid like the rest of the day Smile

Posted Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:02 pm

HaHa, man thats a legenday fishing craft.

nice bass too brotha, must feel like shiners compared to the carp you pull out.

Excellent information as usual!!

Posted Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:39 pm

a few weeks ago I was sitting on some rocks flush with the water line. I saw a huge snapper out in the water and I mean this was huge. He poked his head out and it looked like a stump in the water. I sat there vegging out watching some birds or something, next thing you know he pops his head out about 5 feet away from me. I stayed calm to outside observers and looked this thing in the eye, but in my head I had this thing pouncing me like a Mountain Lion or something. It was awesome and as face to face as I want to get.

The pic is not the actual turtle I saw

Last edited by kman on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:46 pm

very nice Kman, lol

Posted Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Kman, I'm glad you didn't call me that day to go fishing!

Posted Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links